Search results

1. Stacey

NFR Bird Watching for Beginners?

The varied thrush are one of my favorites! It took me years to identify them from their calls as well. I would often hear them when I was out walking in the woods, but could never spot who was singing. This year, they've come to visit my feeder twice - both times on the very coldest, snowiest...
  2. Stacey

NFR Bird Watching for Beginners?

I've noticed this too. I imagine the owls rolling their eyes when they get a good look at who's calling them. The ravens though - they're happy to investigate. You never know, the silly human might have snacks to share ;)
  3. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

You'd have to ask @Josh about the wine...it was gone before I even knew we had an open bottle 😅
  4. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

These videos were incredibly helpful - thank you!
  5. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

That's beautiful! Steaming - why didn't I think of that?? As someone who sews every day, steaming the components seems like a logical jump, but it didn't occur to me. I'm excited to try again w/ my list of improvements - steaming, thread bump behind the eye, & sparser hackle. I might need to...
  6. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Makes perfect sense - thank you!
  7. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thank you. I felt like there was too much material there...I'll try stripping one side of the feather next time.
  8. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Fair enough 😅
  9. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome & words of encouragement! I see now why Josh likes it here so much 💗 Quick question, if anyone has any advice to offer: This is my most recent attempt at a reversed spider in the vice & my 1st below it for comparison. I like the look of the splayed...
  10. Reversed_Spider_2.jpg

Reversed_Spider_2.jpg

11. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

You're right...I just tied my 5th & it already looks better than my 1st! I do love some good positive reinforcement.
  12. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Done! What colors? If I make you a shopping list will you run to the fly shop for me at lunch??
  13. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

That's a great suggestion! There are so many flies that look like fun, it's tempting to jump ahead to a new one - but I suspect repetition is the key to proficiency. Maybe I'll sit myself down & make 5 more reverse spiders before I move on :)
  14. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

That's a great idea!
  15. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thank you! I've definitely started down the rabbit hole of fly tying videos. There's so much good (and not so good) stuff out there it's a bit overwhelming. I'll look for Davie McPhail's videos.
  16. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Hi Ben! Nice to "meet" you :) That's a gorgeous fly & I LOVE the earrings! I might need to make a pair for myself (once I get a little better at tying).
  17. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thanks! The clouser minnow looks like it would be fun to tie!
  18. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thank you so much for all the info! I'll see if I can track down some of those books :)
  19. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Thanks, that's very kind. I was happy with it until the very end - I botched the whip finish, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up to actual use. I learned a lot making it though!
  20. Stacey

Brand New to Fly Tying

Excellent - thank you!