Search results

1. the_grube

"riffle hitched' tube flies

Found this interesting https://rifflinghitch.com/product/moose-turd-bomber-small-black-8-10/ . Here's a tying video at the point where the tube is being pierced . Anyone fish or fished tube flies like this?
  2. the_grube

Prolapsed Bladder...

Not me, my pontoon boat... made you look though. Not my week for watercraft. Trailer problems on the big boat, and a torn bag on the Outcast PAC1200. Lucky for me this happened about .5mi from the takeout in a frog-water area. Bladder held air and seems fine. I've reached out to Outcast about...
  3. the_grube

Trailer problem

3 year old Karavan trailer. Noticed this the other day while it was sitting in my driveway. This is a shot of one of the risers and mounting brackets for the bunks. All 4 are bent towards the stern of the trailer, and skewed like this. Anyone seen this before?
  4. the_grube

new stick for the spey quiver

Ashland Fly shop had a used Sage X 6120 for $550, my fingers filled in the purchase form before my brain could say 'slow your roll there little digits'.. Times like these I think that the determinist approach to reality has some real weight. The arrangement of the space-time field at the moment...
  5. the_grube

fishing rabbit strip flies

I've been fishing rabbit strip flies this winter. They're unweighted modest sized and based off this pattern https://pacificflyfishers.com/products/the-llama-black-blue. I'm fishing 'em on my 7130 with a Rio Short Belly using 15' of s3 with a combo of casts but mostly single spey. They cast...
  6. the_grube

working with ringneck pheasant tail feathers

I'm trying to spin it in a dubbing loop and really struggling to separate the barbules. See the pic below. My results are fairly dismal so far, that pic is the best attempt I've had. These things are like strips of velcro and just want to clump back together. Then when I do get them separated...
  7. the_grube

Tying Tube flies on a Regal Vise

I own a Regal rotary and tie a lot of tube flies. Right now I need to run the head of the vise up at an angle to allow the pin I tie on to pass through the jaws in order to get a good hold. At that angle, spinning the vise just to see the bottom of the fly results in a caddy-wompus motion...
  8. the_grube

Allergic to tying materials?

For the last few weeks I've been breaking out with minor rashes during and after fly tying. The correllation is pretty solid. Never had a problem before. No respiratory symptoms. Wondering if something changed. Anyone else experience this or have any any ideas for managing it?
  9. the_grube

Well this sucks

They shut the North Umpqua down last summer on July 1st until today; Dec 1. I took today and Monday off in order to fish it 4 days in a row. The river has been at summer levels since it's been closed. I figured there's gonna be some summers hanging around in the upper river, and maybe the odd...
  10. the_grube

Sage Sonic Spey rods

Anyone got or casted one? LIke it, hate it, somewhere in between? I got to cast a 7136 with a 525gr skagit and 12.5 ft of t-8 yesterday. Nice rod IMO. Would like to test it with a scandi or short/mid belly. In general ithe action seemed more tip-active than my X 7130, and a bit slower... but...
  11. the_grube

Let's see 'em

your halloween pumpkins that is
  12. the_grube

Water proof bacpack recommendations

Might take a trip this fall that includes a 2 mile hike each way, and likely to be raining.. Doing some research on waterproof backpacks. Needs to be large enough for my waders and boots (don't want to hike in them), food, water, some extra clothes and fishing gear. I think 40L would be the...
  13. the_grube

Umpqua Fly Tying and Casting Festival

Fly Fishing Veterans and Umpqua Valley Fly Fishers are joining forces this year to put on this festival. Fly tiers from a 4 state area will be demonstrating. Hope that many of you can join us. More info at the link below. https://flyfishingveterans.org/2023-tying-and-casting-festival/ Best, Erich
  14. the_grube

North Umpqua closed 'til Dec 1

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2023/07_Jul/072823.asp#:~:text=ROSEBURG%2C%20Ore%20%E2%80%93%20All%20angling%20on,marker%20below%20Soda%20Springs%20Dam.
  15. the_grube

Found a shooting head and sink tip today

... on a river somewhere in OR. PM me with the river, and a description of the head and tip and we can work out a way to get the gear back to you. Hope I can get this back to it's owner. Erich