Search results

1. mattsavage

Redington Tilt as trout spey reel...?

Hey, I have a spare Redington Tilt reel. I was thinking about trying out some spey technique for trout. Knowing nothing about the rigs and line setups, i was wondering if anyone thought the Tilt would work as a spey reel, being fullframe, large arbor? It says it has a capacity of 100yds/20#...
  2. mattsavage

Foster Bros. Bamboo Rod line question...

Hi, so I was gifted a vintage bamboo rod from my father in law for my birthday last weekend. Its an 8' Foster Bros. "Brook" series. Alegedly its a 5wt, but in my uneducated and unexperienced fly fishing mind it feels a bit lighter than that. I purchased an older 5/6 Orvis Battenkill disc off...
  3. mattsavage

Nehalem Sea Run question...

How far up the Nehalem do sea runs go? I'm staying at a friends cabin up near the Lukarilla area, thought i'd give them a swing... If i have to cruise downstream, thats fine. Last time i drove through the area in early september, the river was dead slow and bathtub warm. Hopefully the cool...
  4. mattsavage

New unused Redington Tilt Euro reel $200

New Redington Tilt Euro reel. Spooled up with 150’ of 20# backing, 40’ of 8# red Amnesia, 6’ of 6# flo green amnesia, 3’ of 4x indicator Never used, bought it as a spare but will probably never need it. I have the other 2-1oz counter weights, just didn’t screw them in for the photo. I’m in...
  5. mattsavage

Season opener!

So thi will be my first FULL season of fly fishing. Super stoked. Water might still be a little high over here on the west side and I hear the stoneflies are kicking off over on the big D, but with a half dozen of these 14”-16”today I don’t see the point in trekking over east… it’s hard...
  6. mattsavage

Season opener…. For smash and grab.

Fished all over the state, all winter, no problems…. First nice weekend of the year and the tweakers are out in full force. They didn’t get anything except an empty Simms bag for my boots and waders. Just annoying, the one time I take my wife’s car too…😕 But hey, at least the coastal cutties...
  7. mattsavage

FS Fishpond Southfork Wading belt

Like new Fishpond Southfork Wading belt. Used once. Only selling cause I bought a complete FP hip pack off a member here. The best part about these is that you can keep it snug, up on hips like a wading belt/hip pack should be, but still be able to slide the pack around without having to spin...
  8. mattsavage

FS Patagonia Hip Pack $60

Lightly used Patagonia hip back. Great shape, tons of storage. Two built in water bottle holders, shelf with diy fly patches, shoulder strap… $60 I’m in Portland, I prefer local pickup but will ship.
  9. mattsavage

"Siletz Falls" location?

Hi, so i'm looking at the 2023 NW zone regs and for the Siletz River it says the river and all tribs upstream of Siletz Falls are closed. But, i cant seem to find Siletz Falls on a map. I see a Valsetz Falls quite a ways upstream. Would this just be another name for it? thanks!
  10. mattsavage

Deschutes Cuttbows?

I was fishing the lower Deschutes this weekend, caught a pretty nice rainbow on the nymph rig. Upon further inspection, I noticed a bit of a red marking underneath its jaw. Are there cuttbows in the Deschutes river (Oregon deschutes)? I’m sure it’s not impossible, but you just never hear about...
  11. mattsavage

Seems to be a hatch going off in my attic….

Anyone know what this is? Whatever it is, I prefer it over the stink bug invasion we’ve had..
  12. mattsavage

Gales creek dam removal…

Looks like this finally happened… https://www.jointreeforall.org/blog/2022/10/25/balm-grove-dam-removal Hopefully it doesn’t drive them to change the trout season regs… it’s nice having a fun little stream to fish year round, 30 minutes from home. Fwiw, I’ve only caught cutthroat upstream of...
  13. mattsavage

Guided float recommendation?

So, my wife wants to rent a cabin for few days in January before returning to work in February, one last good time before returning to work after a year long "vacation". Does anyone have a recommended river and guide sevice in Oregon/SW Washington for trout fishing that time of year? Maybe...
  14. mattsavage

Kalama river... Where are the trout?

So, over two days this weekend, I probably fished well over a dozen holes between the Modrow boat launch and the Weyerhauser gate on the Kalama River. On friday I caught 4-5 whitefish up near the gate, that was it. On sunday, not a single damn fish over 8 hours of fishing. Well, i hooked one...
  15. mattsavage

Tualatin/Gales exploration… Cutthroats!

So, with the nice weather yesterday and having no rain for a week, I figured the streams on the valley side of the coast range might’ve calmed down. I went out yesterday to explore the headwaters of the Tualatin. I don’t really know anything about that area, but looking at the googles it...
  16. mattsavage

Cutthroat in columbia...?

Has anyone ever fished the shorelines and beaches along the lower Columbia for cutthroat? Its technically open for hatchery cutthroat until dec31 in oregon and i know washington releases some hatchery cutts in certain tribs of the columbia, so i figured maybe they would work their way down. I...