Search results

1. mcswny

High Desert Creek

This past weekend we were able to get our kid one last backpacking trip in before the weather starts to change (my wife and I will still backpack independently, but the 4 year old is a fair weather fan). This is one of our favorite, easy spots that the kiddo can hike in, while still feel remote...
  2. mcswny

Smoke on the water

Unfortunately we had to cancel a backpacking trip yesterday for my wife’s birthday because of the air quality. Compared to years past, it’s not THAT bad, but we didn’t necassairly need to push it with our 4 year old hiking and being outside the entire time. So I snuck out this morning for a...
  3. mcswny

Glass cherry

I’ve been more and more interested in slower rods lately. Pretty excited to get this on the water. Was going to get it on a small stream today, but the air quality canceled a family backpacking trip to a favorite small stream. It’s a 885 Livingston Western Glass rod that I picked up used (looks...
  4. mcswny

SOLD Patagonia Nano Puff Medium - $70

This is kind of fishing related because it’s a good mid layer for the winter. Slap my wrist if I’m out of line :). Size medium, good used condition (it’s not perfect, a few errant threads here and there) I just prefer the large. Has a lot of life left in it and Patagonia does all repairs for...
  5. mcswny

The beginning of the end (of Summer)

Ever since I have been in Oregon I've considered the week before Labor Day to be the last week of Summer, and coincidentally my work historically has always closed for said week. I always go on a last ditch panicked effort to soak in the last of Summer and this year was no different. There was...
  6. mcswny

SOLD SA Amplitude Bass Bug Camo - WF7, $80

Used exactly once. Turns out my warmest bass waters are still a little to cold for this line. Original spool, but no box. $80 to your door, CONUS. -tim
  7. mcswny

Elkhorn crest trail?

Anyone on the forum ever hike the elkhorn crest trail in NE oregon. I’m doing it this weekend with a couple buddies (and then meeting my wife and kid on a river for some bassin’ and good clean fun). Regardless, I’m bringing a rod, but wondering if anyone has done it and is interested in PMing me...
  8. mcswny

Dry side invasives

While I prefer backpacking every weekend during the summer, with the kiddo, we need to space it out as to not burn her out and have her lose interest. So we saw there was a cancellation on a cheap-ish ($43 /night) cabin at State Park on a river on the East Side of the mountains. It was going to...
  9. mcswny

Canoeing

Got out for a long 3 day weekend canoe camping at a very popular Mt Hood Lake this weekend. We put in at one of the main campgrounds, loaded our shitty, indestructible Coleman canoe and paddle clear across to the dispersed sites on the other side of the lake. It's first come first serve over...
  10. mcswny

trib of a trib of a trib of a trib

I got a last minute invite up to a cabin on Mt Hood. As is, Mt Hood isn't exactly known for big fish. And this cabin was on a trib of a trib of a trib and I could literally walk over it. In most places water was less than ankle deep. But I brought a 8' 4wt and after my wife and friends told me...
  11. mcswny

A week off.

I just got back from a week long family trip (with lots of really early and really late fishing) to one of my absolute favorite rivers. It's not a secret stream by any means but it's still my favorite :) It's the same drill as always, set my alarm for 4:30am and on the water before light at...
  12. mcswny

Day Pack's While Fishing?

What do ya'll do for day packs while fishing? I feel like I've run the gamut and still not really happy. I'm beginning to think it may be a combination of packs. But to be honest, I kinda hate that idea because it means moving boxes, tippet, tools etc and will definitely leave room for...
  13. mcswny

A Grind

Needed some much deserved alone time yesterday so I decided to drive over to my favorite Spring Creek and it was a long day. Up at 4:30 and on the road at 5. On the water by 8. Fished pretty much straight till 6:30 and home by 10. @clarkman would be proud, i waded wet. All for one fish. I...
  14. mcswny

Beadheads on Buggers?

Whats your favorite type of bead for your bugger/leech patterns (brass, tungsten, glass, plastic, etc)? All the buggers I've tied have 4-4.5mm tungsten beads for no other reason than thats the only type of beads I have (usually for euro nymphs). But honestly, the tungsten is pretty clunky to...
  15. mcswny

2 Weeks in a Row

After a successful first backpacking trip a week ago with our four year old (where she hiked on her own), we got a call from a friend saying they had a permit for a beautiful lake in Central Oregon for the weekend of the 4th. This hike was a bit longer for the kid so we checked in with her to...
  16. mcswny

FS Scientific Anglers System 2 78-L (Reel + 2 Spools)

I have 1 reel with two additional spools for sale. They definitely fall under the category of well used and have scuffs and some rash. They are functioning perfectly and wouldn't hesitate to put a big fish on it. $100 for it all shipped to your door, or p/u in N. Portland Let me know if you...
  17. mcswny

Bugger/Leech Leader formula?

I'll confess. I almost never fish buggers or leeches where I'm actually having to cast them (generally referring to sizes 6-10). This is honestly only because I tie them onto my standard 5x or 6x leaders and they just collapse on themselves. I've never took the time to figure out the balance for...
  18. mcswny

3 small streams and a lake.

I had put in for the day off from work this past Friday like 6 months ago. I really like to fish a certain river in NE Oregon the last weekend in June. It's a combination of the river coming into shape after runoff and it hasn't hit a consistent 95-100 degrees. Last year my buddy bailed on me at...
  19. mcswny

Wanted Echo Gecko? - FOUND

Anyone have an Echo Gecko their kid grew out of? My kid is begging me. To be honest, my plan is to get her an Echo Gecko and a little spin rod (she's 4). She was "casting" my rod this weekend and just seems to interested. She was getting the fly out to where it needed to be just by water...
  20. mcswny

Backpacking with Fly Rods?

How do you pack your rod when you're backpacking in? Do you bring your tube and sock? Just your sock? Do you ever bring two rods in? If so, two rod tubes? or still, just two socks? Historically, I've always brought my rod tube because I found the extra pound was a big security in case I...