Sage rods repair turnaround time

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just looking to hear from folks who have sent rods in recently for repair, like in the last year or so.
How long was the turnaround time to get your rod back?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
SF

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I just broke the tip off my old VPS last Saturday:mad::cry:. That rod is so old, I don't know if they'll fix it.
How far down did it break? I have a 8' 3wt that's more like 7'10-1/2" because I didn't want to pay the $175 to get an inch and a half back. Easier to find a tip guide that fit and keep it rolling. Might be worth looking into if you didn't break the tip very far down.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
How far down did it break? I have a 8' 3wt that's more like 7'10-1/2" because I didn't want to pay the $175 to get an inch and a half back. Easier to find a tip guide that fit and keep it rolling. Might be worth looking into if you didn't break the tip very far down.
It's probably about 2-3" off of a 9' rod...maybe I'm ok? I guess I though it would have a significant impact on the performance of the rod but maybe not.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’ve got five or six other 6 wts, so I’m good there. 😉
Just trying to determine the time involved or if I just want to just have a new tip top put on it and fish it as a 9 footer rather than a 9’6”.
I’m probably leaning towards the latter.

Also, does anyone know if they are now allowing drop offs like they used to?
@jasmillo might know.
If I recall correctly, they weren’t allowing that due to COVID.
SF

I somehow made it through last coho season fairly unscathed so I have not sent a rod in since last winter (Ignitor). It took 4-5 months to get back. The two previous, a One and a Maverick back in mid to late 2021, were 6+ months. Last I checked you could not drop off rods but that was awhile ago. It’s a bummer. Used to be a couple week turnaround for locals who dropped off rods. I get it though. Seems they got backed up and may still be digging out.

I have had some small issues with the warranty process for Sage. Mainly unrealistic expectations given. I reached out a few months in advance of my July AK trip last year asking for the status of two rods with them. They assured me they would be ready then ghosted me a bit as the date got close. In they end, they were not. I had backups and bought a different rod so no big deal but that was not great service. A honest assessment earlier would have been nice. Their CS reps are probably overwhelmed with inquires and roasted on a daily basis so although annoying to a degree I get it. That said, I’ve had good experiences with them as well. They were amazing pre Covid, especially for locals. I also just sent back two more OBS’s that developed cracks in less than a year of use and they had brand new lines back in my hands within two weeks.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Also, I can tell you from experience, running and or/working in warranty customer service is about as bad as customer service jobs get. It's soul-crushing and the person you're dealing with is likely running on empty. So be kind if you find yourself dealing with any of these folks.
Roger that! A warranty department has to be a really tough gig. That said, I have had some folks bend over backwards to help me when I was understanding of their plight. I have a propensity to be a dumbass and break stuff in ways that normal people don't. It's pretty rare that it's not my fault. I have found letting them know who they are dealing with helps :ROFLMAO:.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My best warranty story came from an Atlantic Salmon angler. Maybe he was from Norway or Scottland. Can't remember which one. He said he set his rod down to take a leak and the rod was hit my a motorcycle...

I am sure some details were missing. :)

Last edited:

dep

Steelhead
I inquired with Sage recently and they do not allow drop offs as they have no front desk anymore. everything needs to come in vi delivery service.
I have a broken RPL that I may have a buddy just wrap it for me. maybe add a little support within the rod itself.
I have back ups but love this RPL.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
It's probably about 2-3" off of a 9' rod...maybe I'm ok? I guess I though it would have a significant impact on the performance of the rod but maybe not.
That might be doable. If you're options are send it back and wait the month(s) it takes to get it replaced OR buy a $3 tip top and do some experimenting I'd say give it a whirl. Worse case scenario you spend a few bucks and find out your $195 warranty costs are well worth it cause you now know the rod doesn't work with that much tip missing.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I have a Redington CT that has a loose cork grip that I've been procrastinating sending in. Frustrating that I can't just take it in person like I used to in years past and have to pay to ship it 30 minutes up the road. I own a handful of Redington rods, reels, and had their waders for a while too but with the changes to wader warranties and not being able to bring anything to them for repair/replacement I won't be buying any more in the future. More Echo in my future.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I received an email back from Farbank CS stating 8-10 weeks for the repair timeline.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have a Redington CT that has a loose cork grip that I've been procrastinating sending in. Frustrating that I can't just take it in person like I used to in years past and have to pay to ship it 30 minutes up the road. I own a handful of Redington rods, reels, and had their waders for a while too but with the changes to wader warranties and not being able to bring anything to them for repair/replacement I won't be buying any more in the future. More Echo in my future.

I hear you. The factory is like 1.5 miles away from my house and I bought a bunch of Sage Rods the last 7-8 years because of that convenience. I probably would have bought some of them but went in other directions with at least 1/2 of those purchases if I knew walk in service would be a thing of the past. Why didn’t I predict the pandemic!

At least my rods get to go on a nice road trip!. Generally stuff gets sent to Tacoma first to get to a destination 1.5 miles away :).

6D47A131-DA16-4C18-9119-725947F6D658.jpeg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I hear you. The factory is like 1.5 miles away from my house and I bought a bunch of Sage Rods the last 7-8 years because of that convenience. I probably would have bought some of them but went in other directions with at least 1/2 of those purchases if I knew walk in service would be a thing of the past. Why didn’t I predict the pandemic!

At least my rods get to go on a nice road trip!. Generally stuff gets sent to Tacoma first to get to a destination 1.5 miles away :).

View attachment 53060
Alright, this is legit hilarious.
Maybe you need a fedex or UPS costume? You could just walk in and say "fed ex, got a package people!" and drop off your rod. 🤷‍♂️
70fdb1a0-fa0f-499f-8c5d-9bc21a687cab_text.gif

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a 489 SPLCA that I had snapped about 2" of tip off 4 or so years ago. I fixed it myself with a top guide and fished it for about 4 years like that. While it didn't cast as smooth as it originally did, I caught plenty of fish on it. This past summer a friend was using it on a camping trip and the top section broke in half. So, I sent it in. Perfect time of year, I have plenty of other 3 and 4 weights so was able to finish out the fall season no problem. I just really like the 489: it has its own case thats easy to pack around, the reel is already attached, and it handles the flies I like to fish no problem, and at the same time makes some of the smaller fish in our creeks still feel nice.

First off, I was surprised that they even still fixed this old of a rod. I honestly thought they were just going to offer me a discount on an upgrade. I got this rod in 1998, so it's 25 years old, and besides the tip break, this is the first time I have had to send the rod in. I wasn't in a hurry for it, so I didn't contact them or anything, just assumed it would be 6 months or so like everyone else has heard. It definitely took a while, but not 6 months. I sent it in on 9/20/22, and got it back on 1/12/23. So almost 4 months.

Anyways, for $195, I got a 25 year old rod fixed that cost almost $600 new (i think it was even more with the reel). I think that's a pretty sweet deal!

I don't break rods often...honestly it's usually friends breaking them, haha! I think I have maybe done 4 or 5 repairs and have never had any issues. Yeah, they take a bit, but I got backups!

Pretty stoked to fish it this summer!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Anyways, for $195, I got a 25 year old rod fixed that cost almost $600 new (i think it was even more with the reel). I think that's a pretty sweet deal!
Exactly what I thought when I sent my XP in for repair (about a year ago). I could buy a $200 rod I might like, or spend $200 on a rod I know I like. Bonus, it was the bottom section that broke so I got a brand new lower section complete with fresh cork and new reel seat.

booner05

Just Hatched
I submitted a warranty request to Redington around Sept 10 2022 and got a response Dec 21 2022 and received the replacement tip Dec 28 2022. They sent me the new tip for free which was nice of them. In the mean time before they responded, I had purchased a replacement tip from them which took like 5 days to be delivered. Also...tips were on sale for $25 around christmas...i'm not sure if that's still on or not

edit: looks like Redington tips are still $25. https://farbank.com/collections/redington-fly-fishing-replacement-tips

Last edited:

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Mine is a 9’ 5wt…it’s also a 3 piece.
oops, mine is a 4 piece, not likely to work for you. I built mine from a blank, my favorite rod for several years, I broke it once on the butt section when my raft rolled over on it while it was together. I did the warranty thing for about $100 or something, had to rebuild the bottom section myself since it was a blank when I got it. Used it again for a couple years and then left it in 2 pieces instead of 4 over the winter in the garage and come spring I was unable to separate the 3rd and tip section. Tried everything in the book for a couple months, used it during that time. Saw a YouTube by Kelly Galloup saying it is easy if you just get a good grip basically. I got some stuff to get a good grip on each piece, it felt like it was loosening but no, it was just tearing apart. Oh well. I felt like I spent enough on it and did not send it back again.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
What size VPS? I have a broken VPS, 8’6” 5 wt with an intact tip. I broke a different section. Not using it now.
Mine is a 9’ 5wt…it’s also a 3 piece.

oops, mine is a 4 piece, not likely to work for you. I built mine from a blank, my favorite rod for several years, I broke it once on the butt section when my raft rolled over on it while it was together. I did the warranty thing for about $100 or something, had to rebuild the bottom section myself since it was a blank when I got it. Used it again for a couple years and then left it in 2 pieces instead of 4 over the winter in the garage and come spring I was unable to separate the 3rd and tip section. Tried everything in the book for a couple months, used it during that time. Saw a YouTube by Kelly Galloup saying it is easy if you just get a good grip basically. I got some stuff to get a good grip on each piece, it felt like it was loosening but no, it was just tearing apart. Oh well. I felt like I spent enough on it and did not send it back again.
Bummer! I was about to offer to pay for just the tip😂.