Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Well, you win some and you learn some. I attempted a sourdough challah for the first time. I followed food geek's recipe. Without a conception of what the dough should be like, I made a few mistakes that resulted in this abomination.
IMG20221204160810.jpg

I need to try again with the following adjustments. Knead in more flour than I did. Knead longer (it passed windowpane, but was too slack). It is also underprooved. It'll be better next time.

flybill

Life of the Party
Pizza night!

My dough recipe is constantly changing but right now its

50% cairn springs glacier peak (I think a t85)
50% cairn springs 1109. (I think a t65)
3% salt
15% starter
70% water

Cooking
View attachment 6727

Cheese for the kidView attachment 6728

Shallots, harissa bread crumbs (from the weeks bread), and topped with arugula for the vegetarian wife
View attachment 6729

Pepperoni for me
View attachment 6730

And an extra floater cheese for good measure a (not pictured)
I want that pizza oven!!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I made a version of danish rugbrod, a classic seeded full rye brick. I am trying to use up the bottom of various whole grain flour bags so I mixed it up. I also used seeds/nuts I had on hand instead of the traditional mix.
IMG20221205173726.jpg
It needs to "cure" for a day between baking and slicing or else it gets dry really fast. Slice it pretty thin. I like it fresh, but my wife only likes it toasted.
IMG20221205173555.jpg
Top it a variety of ways and eat as open faced sandwiches a la smorrebrod. It really likes something fermented/acidic. Tonight's dinner was a few topped with remoulade (mayo, Dijon, shallot, pickled hot wax peppers), dill pickles, roast beef, and kale microgreens.
IMG20221206190925.jpg

flybill

Life of the Party
In thinking about doing a sourdough starter, and watched a video. Easy enough, just takes some time to get it going. About 6 days according to the stuff I've watched and read.

But I came across one you can buy on Amazon. Picture is attached. Has anyone tried it or should I just start my own. I'm more concerned about the quality and am figuring out what the best flour to use for it. Suggestions are appreciated! I'll go through the thread in case it's been discussed before!20221212_092157.jpg

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
In thinking about doing a sourdough starter, and watched a video. Easy enough, just takes some time to get it going. About 6 days according to the stuff I've watched and read.

But I came across one you can buy on Amazon. Picture is attached. Has anyone tried it or should I just start my own. I'm more concerned about the quality and am figuring out what the best flour to use for it. Suggestions are appreciated! I'll go through the thread in case it's been discussed before!View attachment 44798
I started my own using this recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe. It turned out fine!

If you find yourself near Martha Lake South, feel free to swing by and I'll give you some of mine. Let me know a day inadvance and I'll make sure it is fed and happy.

flybill

Life of the Party
I started my own using this recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe. It turned out fine!

If you find yourself near Martha Lake South, feel free to swing by and I'll give you some of mine. Let me know a day inadvance and I'll make sure it is fed and happy.
Thanks! I get up that way from time to time and will let you know. Thanks for the link, will probably just start one up.. just have to go get some flour other than all purpose..

Reactions: Zak

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Likewise you can have some of mine if you are in Tacoma.

While some people sometimes get a starter ready for baking in a week, 2-4 weeks seems to be more realistic. Mine didn't really start to thrive until month 2. There are plenty of things you can use your starter for prior to it being ready though.

I recommend videos from The Food Geek on YT. His master recipe is really solid.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

But I came across one you can buy on Amazon. Picture is attached. Has anyone tried it or should I just start my own. I'm more concerned about the quality and am figuring out what the best flour to use for it. Suggestions are appreciated! I'll go through the thread in case it's been discussed before!View attachment 44798
If you start your own or maintain a received starter, follow a couple of guidelines.
1. Use only unbleached flour
2. Use some component of whole grain (I use 30% rye flour)
3. Pay more attention to how it behaves than time and ratios