Early Morning Visitor

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
My dogs went crazy when I let them out at 5:15 this morning. It took me several minutes to find what they were concerned about, but I eventually say a silhouette on the power lines in the alley. Still I couldn't make out what it was so I grabbed a flashlight and got closer. Much to my surprise we had an owl hanging out in our Central Tacoma backyard this morning and it didn't seem to be bothered by us at all. Anyone have a species ID for me?
IMG20221202053459.jpgIMG20221202053407.jpg

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My dogs went crazy when I let them out at 5:15 this morning. It took me several minutes to find what they were concerned about, but I eventually say a silhouette on the power lines in the alley. Still I couldn't make out what it was so I grabbed a flashlight and got closer. Much to my surprise we had an owl hanging out in our Central Tacoma backyard this morning and it didn't seem to be bothered by us at all. Anyone have a species ID for me?
View attachment 43484View attachment 43485
We live on 2.5 acres and have them regularly. We don't seem to have a rodent problem.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
While I don't see them much, I hear these guys a lot at my suburban house. There was one a few years ago that had a unique and seriously startling call that sounded like three short human screams followed by maniacal laughter. And I swear it got a kick out of silently getting as close as possible when I was outside at night (night owl myself), then letting that cackle rip. I'm sure my responding jump and yelp was amusing!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Do they typically hang out in urban areas? I was surprised to see it this morning.
Hey Gary,

I live in urban Tacoma as well and regularly see barred owls traveling along and perching on the alleyway power lines just like in your picture. They are most active in the later hours so sightings generally happen during hours of darkness in my experience.

Dave

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
There was one a few years ago that had a unique and seriously startling call that sounded like three short human screams followed by maniacal laughter.
That sounds like a Western Screech Owl.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
That sounds like a Western Screech Owl.
Yeah? I never did see it, but came across a similar sound file online that ID'd it as a barred owl.
I'll take your word over the internet, though!

Plenty of the more common barred calls most nights, too, so I figured just a rugged individualist.