NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I'm not so sure players are as clean as we've been lead to believe.
Cheating always happens and there is no way to be sure, but it is certainly less obvious than it was previously. Additionally, MLB has shown no qualms about suspending superstars for violating PED rules.

Judge specifically is just a physical outlier, being a super sized version of typical baseball athletes without any indication of PED use.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Cheating always happens and there is no way to be sure, but it is certainly less obvious than it was previously. Additionally, MLB has shown no qualms about suspending superstars for violating PED rules.

Judge specifically is just a physical outlier, being a super sized version of typical baseball athletes without any indication of PED use.
Agreed. Between '98 and '01, the trio of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa hit more than 61 HRs 6 times.
Since the original 61 mark was set, nobody touched 61 until '98, and hasn't happened since '01. Stanton got close in '17 (59). So sure, guys may still be using PEDs in some form or fashion (and those getting caught are getting suspended), but I don't think the rampant HGH use is prevalent like it was back in the late '90s early '00s.

Judge is just a freak (in a good way) of nature. And he's very good at swinging a baseball bat. Fun to watch.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Mitch Haniger from last October:

We lost when it mattered most. We fell short of our goal — period.

And I need every Mariners fan to know that.

But I also need them to know something else: This group is going to the playoffs. That’s not an if….. it’s a when. And that when is soon.

We’re going to end this f*cking drought.

And then we’re not stopping there. Because, yeah: This hurts. Yeah, it sucks to be taking this step back. It sucks to go from having 40,000-plus rocking T-Mobile Park, to go from having this city fired up beyond belief, to now being stuck at home watching these games from the couch. I HATE it. But that’s how you overcome adversity, and that’s how you persevere — in baseball, or in whatever else. You fail…. you take your step back….. then you regroup. You figure it out. And you take TWO steps forward.

And that’s what’s going to happen here in Seattle.

I hope the other teams in the league are all reading this, and they understand that we’re about to get after it in the offseason. And then we’re coming for one of those playoff spots — and more.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Major League Baseball no longer test for Peds. They need the home runs they need the attention.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
As part of the new agreement, the 2022 season is expected to feature the most tests in the program’s history and blood testing for human growth hormone has resumed but with new technology.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
HGH was the PED of choice 15 years ago. There is a TON of new stuff out there being used that those in charge of testing probably can't catch yet. As soon as they can test for it, they will be using something else.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I had big tears over this win. This season and the win tonight was extra special.
I've followed this team through thick and thin since the beginning as have a lot of fans.
I couldn't be happier especially for Rick Rizzs.
Go now Mariners into October yes OCTOBER!! 😍😍

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's just story book ending for the playoff drought. I saw a post saying that's there have only been two other pinch hit full count walk off homeruns since the last time the mariners went to the playoffs, and now Cal does it to send the Ms to the playoffs? AND he did it setting the most homeruns record for a Mariners catcher in a season.

Woot woot! This team is something special.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Really good SI article this morning.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Really cool to see the playoff drought end.

Also crazy to think back about why in the world it's been so long. it's not like the M's have a crazy or skinflint ownership group over that time. I'm not saying they should have won the WS. But not making the playoffs at all while being mostly stable as a franchise with a nice stadium in a climate that makes summer baseball fun to attend? It's really remarkable.