Recent content by Wolverine

1. Wolverine

Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

It took me 3 “experiences” to finally give water the respect it deserves. The first was over 50 years ago on the Big Manastee river in Michigan below Tippy dam. I’d waded down a mid river gravel bar to fish a seam on the far shore. Fishing was great! Rainbows, browns, and walleyes were on the...
  2. Wolverine

SFR Fishing Foods (food near fishing)

I’m not too fussy when I’m hungry. Love’s Truck Stop hotdogs work. When I’m in the south I always head for Buc-eye’s. 100+ gas pumps, a ton of BBQ options, and the cleanest restrooms in the country.
  3. Wolverine

Corned Beef

A nice chunk of pork shoulder also makes a great substitute for corned beef in a “boiled” dinner.
  4. Wolverine

Corned Beef

Boiled with veggies; garlic, onion, carrot, potato, and cabbage. Veggie’s added in sequence so they’re tender crisp at serving. Vinegar and horseradish for condiments.
  5. Wolverine

These newfangled computerized baitcaster reels... (Shimano SLX DC)

I’ve got a Curado DC reel. IT’s list as a freshwater reel but I’ve only used it in saltwater for beach salmon fishing. 3 years no maintenance, just a good freshwater rinse. It’s loaded with 20 lb braid and on a 11’ rod. I’ve got a pretty good educated thumb from 50+ years of using bait casters...
  6. Wolverine

Cell Coverage Question

I had ATT since phones were the size of bricks. Several years ago switched to T-Mobile as I got tired of being gouged by Rogers Wireless as ATT would switch to Rogers every time I went to Canada. T-Mobile works fine in Europe.
  7. Wolverine

NFR Battery powered chainsaw(s)?

Ego chainsaw, weed eater, and leaf blower. all use the same batteries. Also have a battery Stihl 8” bar 1 hander for light pruning. Only gasser left is the lawnmower.
  8. Wolverine

Puyallup Sportsmans Show

Haven’t been to this show in 4 years. I used to go to checkout BC and Alaska fishing lodges. This year, and the past 3 I’ve been soaking up the sunshine in Palm Desert instead.
  9. Wolverine

NFR 1963

Was a college freshman sleeping off my first, and worst, hangover. My roommate woke me up and we went down to the commons and watched the proceedings on a black & white TV with 50 others. Terrible day that I'll always remember.
  10. Wolverine

Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

Sportco had the magazine yesterday.
  11. Wolverine

SFR Squirrels (Thread of month contender)

So far this year in the live traps. 37 squirrels, 8 rabbits, 2 possum, 3 rats, and 1 very angry blue jay. Now if I could just find a way to get rid of the moles I'd be a happy camper.
  12. Wolverine

1944, least we forget…

I was there for the 40th anniversary. I was with my dad and 2 uncles. 1 uncle hit the beach on D-day, the other a week later. Dad didn’t get to Europe until the fall as he was recovering from wounds in North Africa. I vividly remember our walks on the bluffs and the US cemeteries their...
  13. Wolverine

May 18th 1980

I was Living in Kirkland at the time and was washing the salt water crud off my boat from the previous days trip salmon fishin. When I heard a deep rumble and figured it might have been the mountain going off.
  14. Wolverine

Most scenic places to crap in the west.

My parents were really into hunting. One year after they came home with only the buck that mom shot (dad was ribbed unmercifully by the other guys in camp) dad was sitting on the throne at home. He looked out the window and saw an 8 point (eastern count) whitetail buck come out of the corn...
  15. Wolverine

Smelt

I never dipped for smelt in Washington. In Michigan we’d use long handled fine mesh nets and sweep along the beaches in one of the Great Lakes. If the water was rough the smelt would get pushed up onto the sand, and then we’d pick them up with our hands.