Recent content by The Coho King

1. The Coho King

2-Piece Rods

I only fish 2 pc. Found some vintage 80-90s Sage and GLomis and buy only in excellent condition. Must read. https://midcurrent.com/gear/retro-rod-review-four-graphite-models-that-changed-the-fly-fishing-world/ Rafter is full. There's a vintage forum that sometimes hit our site. One I...
  2. The Coho King

Anybody fishing furled leaders ?

There are plenty of legendary fisherman from pnwff that know more. Here is the lowdown. Ferrell or braided leaders are loop to loop, just add tippet, no memory when left on reel, can attach and adjust indicators easy with no kinking, punch and throw tight casts, last years. I can never figure...
  3. The Coho King

Anybody fishing furled leaders ?

Grew up using the Orvis braided tapered, then no more. Found Cutthroat Leaders in ID and problem solved. Not made from mono stiff. I tie my own for salmon made from 20lb Cortland spool of 100'. Just knot your own loop to loops. Found an expensive small needle to make loops but super hard to...
  4. The Coho King

The Fly Fisher in Olympia Is No More

Lost Creek in Onalaska has it all for NW flyfishing....Google the shop.
  5. The Coho King

The Fly Fisher in Olympia Is No More

Try a place called cutthroat leaders out of UT
  6. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

Update. These Outdoor World repair are the real deal. Answered the phone and said send in with receipt and they will take care with Penn year warranty. Will see, but they sound legit and I finally got a 50 in line 2 day later call back at 7am from Penn rep. Glad it went vm. Great tip for...
  7. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

I'll check pb out. Penn still not returned call. No warranty claim link I can find. No big deal, just disappointed in new reels that should work more than month...stuck on my old cheap one and landed a few big fish...alternated with fly rod. And good old Amazon delivered a spare okuma in...
  8. IMG_20230811_191954048_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230811_191954048_HDR.jpg

9. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

Model? That's why I bought one!
  10. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

Thanks Divad. I added a response to clarify
  11. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

I will call Penn, but not sure on answer unless this how they work...unison crank with drag setting. If so, I will chuck it and order my good old cheap okuma from Amazon...but rarely last a season. Thanks for any advice, not much of a bearing gear fixer.
  12. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

Yes, the handle tightens and hard to crank the more the drag is increased. Crank eade is almost in unison with drag setting...lighter drag, easy cranking...as I tested tying the line to my tree. I don't hear or feel any clunkiness. Have to set drag high due to kings on line..only 12lb line...
  13. The Coho King

Stilliguamish Gill Net

I've worked for the Tribe for 20yrs. They have an outstanding natural resources department and are restoring estuary and miles of the n fork. There would not be any fish without the Tribes hatcheries. They net live kings for broodstocking...and love volunteers. Again, check with their NR dept...
  14. The Coho King

Spinning Reels

Even us fly guys own a spinning reel for certain circumstances. Does anybody know why a fine new Penn reel is difficult, reel tightens, when the drag is increased. Most I've had just will spin easy but twist line. This one reel is harder to turn the more the graph is increased. Design or bad.
  15. The Coho King

Stilliguamish Gill Net

Don't wonder, just call the Stillaguamish PD and ask for fish enforcement officer. Likely member for coho subsistence, not commercial. Tribe only nets live kings for broodstock for their hatchery near granite falls.