Recent content by SteelHeadDave

1. SteelHeadDave

NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

I picked a bunch of dandelion flowers a few years ago on Easter weekend to make wine. It was a lot of work to separate the green from the yellow parts. The wine is a bit sweet for my liking, almost like a mead. The best part of the process was finding a bunch of un-found Easter eggs in the field...
  2. SteelHeadDave

Valley of Fire

North end of Lake Mead is fun fishing for a variety of warm water species. Wish I would have spent more time in Valley of Fire when I was there. Thanks for sharing!
  3. SteelHeadDave

What Are You Eating?

Subscribing to a CSA is another good option for those who don’t garden and want to eat more veggies but are not naturally inclined to shop for them at a grocery store.
  4. SteelHeadDave

I’ve only recently discovered the joys of pressure washing. I’m letting my moss grow thick so I can have more satisfaction when I finally spray it off, 2” at a time 😁
  5. SteelHeadDave

Washington-Seattle area tolls

I just do what everyone else does in Tacoma. Drive fast enough to float over the potholes and you won’t have issues! ;)
  6. SteelHeadDave

What Are You Eating?

First spring nettle pick of the year. My girlfriend and I go here every year to celebrate our anniversary and first date. Nettle soup with some of last year’s garden veg. Roasted poblanos, Ozette potatoes, orange cayenne hot sauce. She stepped on this goat skull and pulled it out of the leaf...
  7. SteelHeadDave

Jerkey

@Billy what kind of wood did you use for the smoke? Looks great!
  8. SteelHeadDave

Warm spring weather is coming! What are your fishing plans?

I can’t wait to hit some lakes on both sides of the state. It’s been way too long since I’ve wet a line and I need it bad. First up will be a multi day bender out east.
  9. SteelHeadDave

Just saw this article. Interesting stuff… https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/at-home/decoding-seattles-new-hardiness-zone-9a/#:~:text=The%20USDA%20Hardiness%20Zone%20Map,same%20zone%20as%20northern%20Florida.
  10. SteelHeadDave

Litter

Pat, good point on driftwood structures and piled up rocks along a river bank or shoreline. For some reason this doesn’t bother me at all and I’ve been known to seek out the shade of driftwood shelters now and again. What I mean by primitive structures is the bushcraft stuff that people leave...
  11. SteelHeadDave

Litter

Graffiti came up earlier as a form of visual litter. This belongs in an urban environment IMO. What really bothers me is painted rocks and other forms of “nature art” left in the woods and along park trails. Also primitive skills structures. These items are not safe within my presence and...
  12. SteelHeadDave

Litter

Someone used to regularly dump their beer cans and cig butts in my alley trashcan as well. At least it made it into the can. Better than the crack pipe someone stashed underneath my alley compost tarp.
  13. SteelHeadDave

Litter

Littering has been a part of NW culture long before the recent population boom in this region. Town dumps were generally the adjacent woodlands. Old logging cables are strewn about in pretty much every woodland you step foot in. River banks made for great places to offload trash. I see evidence...
  14. SteelHeadDave

Litter

I guess that went over my head. Not sure what you’re referring to then but no worries.