Recent content by Hoofer

1. Hoofer

What's in your vise?

For St Patrick’s, and in mind of my grandfathers: Thanks and praises, thanks to Jesus, I bet on the Bottle of Smoke. I went to hell and to the races, To bet on the Bottle of Smoke. The day being clear, the sky being bright, He came up on the left like a streak of light, Like a drunken f*ck on...
  2. IMG_3740.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

3. Hoofer

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Soft hackles can be a great approach in lots of situations, including finicky rising fish. I’d probably choose a 14 or 16 in caddis colors if I only got one, but last summer I used everything from 18 or 20 (midges on the Owyhee) to 8 or 10 (drakes at Railroad Ranch.) Different sizes, colors...
  4. IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg

5. Hoofer

Wacky rig for fly casting?

Furled chenille? I haven’t figured out how to get rubber legs involved but I’m sure it could be done.
  6. IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

7. Hoofer

NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

This thread hasn’t focused on one part of the film: the idea of 50-million members of the “Outdoor State” and its potential political weight. That’s ~10x larger than the NRA’s membership, maybe 8x the size of the US Jewish community, 3x the number of union members, slightly larger than the...
  8. Hoofer

Cell Phone Pics

My kid got pinned 2x at the state meet, but the old Colosseum is cooler than I remembered. 60’ m/l curtain wall from glulams, c1960. I hope we’re back next year for more good memories.
  9. IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

10. Hoofer

100 tons of carbon * $50/ton offset cost / 290 seats equals $17.24 per seat. Use a different offset cost if you’d like. We can afford to keep flying. Is it fair that rich Americans get to fly fish in Alaska with less guilt if they pay for cleaner coal plants in India? I don’t know — but if...
  11. Hoofer

Possible photo of Waylon/William, who sayeth the words of Kris: Don’t ever cuss that fiddle, boys, Unless you want that fiddle out of tune. That picker there in trouble, boys, Ain’t nothin but another side of you. If we ever get to heaven, boys, It ain’t because we ain’t done nothin wrong...
  12. Hoofer

“Yes,” Hemingway is said to have replied, “they have more money.”
  13. Hoofer

What's in your vise?

Squirrel-tailed posse bugger. Posse Clouser? Canyonero?
  14. IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

15. Hoofer

Previously mentioned wind farm = 1000 megawatts = average Snake River Dam = ~150,000 houses worth of pv panels. The wind program seems like a good approach to me. More coal does not.