Recent content by gpt

1. G

7 vs 8 wt for PDX area winter steelhead?

it was a whopper. no one in those days even thought about not killing fish. had to cut it in half to get in in my 80qt ice chest but never measured it's overall length. and yes, mid 60s if i recall correctly. took several years to fully eliminate the A and B runs once that dam shut off the...
  2. G

SAGE RPL 896 go to for steelhead, winter, summer, made no difference. winter fishing is always on the stones so a flat running line with a variety of heads, weight and length, to match the flows. no giant flies necessary for me, #4s are big enough to do the job in my estimation. my first...
  3. G

thanks. the days of 20# steelhead, i think, are a fond memory for many of us.
  4. G

huh??
  5. G

weather change in the canyon....

what canyon?? there are many desert canyons i know about.
  6. G

SFR Alaska Bering Sea king and snow crab seasons canceled

as long as the tribes have the only federal licenses regarding fishing, WDFW refuses to apply for their own, we will never see any relief from gill nets blocking all the streams and rivers in this state killing off EPA listed salmon and steelhead. WDFW is a loser agency with no teeth in any...
  7. G

SFR Alaska Bering Sea king and snow crab seasons canceled

wouldn't it be a relief if WDFW acted this responsibly??? of course, don't hold your breath!!!!
  8. G

WF8F recommendations.........

my all time favorite summer steelhead run required at least 80' casts with my DT-F-8. this never presented a problem for me, flies on #4 hooks. now moving into salt and really big fish, the saltwater WF comes into play, all 105' of it.
  9. G

still going strong for me.
  10. G

not a problem.
  11. G

i don't use WF lines in fresh water. try a DT of any brand you choose and be a happy easy casting camper.
  12. G

Pontoon Oars

mini mags. you may think you don't need them until you need them.
  13. G

the one and only rod i used for steelhead, when they were still around, my SAGE RPL 8wt. winter or summer, DT, WF, heads and so on. a perfect fit for steelhead fishing year around.
  14. G

Which Fly to buy

there are three insects that inhabit most waters with trout: stone flies, caddis flies and May flies. depending on what is going on they could be crawling along the bottom rising, floating or falling dead. that is the big issue you face, actually observing what is going on. in addition you...
  15. G

Thoughts on Costa Rica?

our local guide had a big stick made out of i don't know what, but as we walked he would tap that stick to make some sounds. never saw a snake or the special frogs he kept looking for. i have not seen or heard any snakes since the times when we would fish too late on the free flowing snake r...