Recent content by DerekWhipple

1. DerekWhipple

River Rights ... Again

It used to be called Sucker Lake
  2. DerekWhipple

Dog Bite On Waders

Two free dogs who don't like each other, both have the option of going their separate ways. A leashed dog is going to feel more defensive, especially if the other dog is not restrained. I think almost all dog fights/disagreements I've witnessed involved at least one of the dogs being off-leash.
  3. DerekWhipple

Favorite bass rod weight, what you got?

When I fished for bass a lot, I preferred a 5 or 6 if I could get away with it. Maxmum fun without wimping out on the fish. But I fished up to a 9 for giant deer hair/rabbit monstrosities.
  4. DerekWhipple

"riffle hitched' tube flies

I follow scandi-style social media stuff for inspiration and new things to try, and yeah, lots of riffle hitch tubes, especially tiny little ones. Might be applicable for summer steelhead since they are more likely to move to hit something small higher up. If I'm going to hitch something, I...
  5. DerekWhipple

YNP Opens Two Rivers to Year Round Angling

Put more of a hurt on non-native fish?
  6. DerekWhipple

Fish handling

Recreational steelhead fishing is hanging by a thread in Washington. It's too easy to be a guide. People are having a better season this year in OR, I bet we'll get some more guides like the guy discussed before. Too many guides, not enough fish.
  7. DerekWhipple

High Rock the most dangerous beach in the country

Happens every year on the Clack or Sandy. Hot days in the spring time, water still in the 40's. I see people in their bathing suits on inner tubes and SUP's.
  8. DerekWhipple

REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

I get not leaving things up to chance, but the license is supposed to still work without reception, you have to make sure to load it up on your phone while you still have service, and then keep the app running in the background. Your license should stay visible when you lose reception, as long...
  9. DerekWhipple

2024 Skagit Steelhead

People do swing egg patterns, they call it a Klamath Intruder!
  10. DerekWhipple

Saltwater Olympic Peninsula Cutthroat

I really wish Oregon had a CnR salt fishery in the winter instead of just shutting it down with inland trout. I guess they are afraid of incidental surf perch bycatch.
  11. DerekWhipple

Warm spring weather is coming! What are your fishing plans?

It's going to be over 70 in Maupin next week, might take a day off and fish for trout.
  12. DerekWhipple

UV fluorescent materials

For most of my steelhead flies, I try to use a UV material or two. Does it help? I don't consider myself a skilled enough steelheader to really know. But there are some out there who think color is VERY important for steelhead flies (there are also guides who think it doesn't matter too much...
  13. DerekWhipple

North Fork Stillaguamish and the loss of its "bugs"

I'm sure that river has it's own specific problems, but people are starting to notice macroinvertebrates have been decreasing all over the country. https://www.patagonia.com/stories/dude-wheres-my-hatch/story-136295.html