January tying contest thread - and December's winner is:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
@Kfish love those murdichs. You like the strung fuzzy fiber better than the estaz ones? And have you tried/thoughts on scuplting flash fiber (I only ask so I don’t have to buy fuzzy fiber..)
I have not tried the estaz but I do like it better than flash fibers for this purpose.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I usually tie this with a 1/0 in the front and maybe a 1 or 2 in the back (I can't remember) for bulls and it slays. I'm sure at that size it would still slay for my local bass but I shrunk it to a 2 and 4 and this should do the trick in my local ditch. It's been a minute since I've tied a deer head and it shows 🤷‍♂️ . Also, this is not my pattern.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 8.40.38 PM.png

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
This made me smile....it would be like an ice cream truck when I was a kid in our old neighborhood.
How castable? I normally use a 6 wt.
I use a 7 or 8 depending on the eyeball weight plus the heavy cover bass are found in.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Subsurface bass for me can be split into two catagories. Bass you see and bass you can't see.

The following applies for bass you can see. Bass have a sneaky way of showing up and swimming under your boat or swimming on by. During the spawn you can often stage near cover and have sighfishing opportunities for both spawning fish and just cruising fish with both smallmouth and largemouth.

This presentation is about stealth and natural looking flies for me. It's really hard to beat a simple blackish marabou leech: View attachment 48271Cast just in front of the fish but close enough it can see it and let it slowly sink. The bass will inspect it. Sniff it and so on. This is cat and mouse stuff and you may get a few nibbles before a good chomp. Too aggressive and momma largemouth won't play. I'll do a second part to this post on subsurface bass you can't see when I have more time...Damn I love talking bass😁
Billy, when I fished tournaments, this fly, but imagine it as a soft plastic, caught me about 80% of my fish.

Even now, when faced with targeting bass, I’m highly likely to throw a leech or bugger.