Tiny fly challenge.....

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ll be trying on a big river down here in oregon. Still need to tie up a few more 22s though.
That's about how small most of the BWOs I saw coming off yesterday were. There were some fish interested, but I was too lazy to change to a dry at that point.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I wonder if there’s any BWO hatches around me in Washington?? I fished some in Colorado......

There are, and much closer than CO. Lots of little blue lines to explore east of the Cascades with Baetis hatches most days. I don't have problems catching them on 18's, which makes the tying a bit easier 😅

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Eastern blue lines aren’t going to happen for awhile......we’re sitting at 9 degrees chill factor in Seattle right now! The passes suck.....I’m hoping for something on the wet side.

flybill

Life of the Party
So......now that we have some tiny ass flies.....any recommendations on where to fish them?? (Once the deep freeze is over!)
I hit a Trico hatch, on my first guided trip, on the Missouri river 15+ years ago.. or you're prepped for lakes and chronomid fishing.. I'm considering tying up a size 20 tenkara fly.. I have enough trouble tying them onto my fly rod or tenkara rod! Might need to get some 20x readers so I can see what I'm doing though! :D Or borrow the Huble telescope! :alien: Cheers!

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I'm in!

My eyesight sucks, so I thought I'd compromise by tying a size 20 chironomid on a little bit bigger of a hook so I would have an easier time tying it on. I also used a tungsten bead head to ensure it would sink.

20221222_185909.jpg

Otter

Steelhead
I only have a minute here, before they take my phone away. I tried tying a size 20 fly, and went stark raving mad, and my neighbour called 911 and they put me in a straightjacket and took me to the pysch ward. In hopes of understanding my issue, the shrink here googled tying size 20 flies, and now he's a patient too.
May God have mercy on your souls, you brave tiny fly tyers.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
JoJo.....where’s your tiny flies?? With delicate dainty fingers you should be able to tie some tiny flies! I’m sure you’d be up for a challenge......