December tying contest and November's winner is:

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I'm calling it the Big Brown Lunker. Definitely an upgrade from it's original name at the very least.

Materials:
Streamer hooks of choice depending on size, this one uses a 1/0 gama worm hook up front and a size 4 B10S I believe.

Rear hook
Tail: Two large tailing feathers from one of those whiting tailing packs, tied vertically
Underbody: Yellow ice dubbing wrapped up the hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou- Brown then black on top, cream on bottom
Accents: Mottled rubber legs and sparse gold flash (mfc crinkle or flashabou)

Front Hook:
Underbody: Yellow ice dub wrapped up hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou: Brown, then the grey aftershaft of one of the large tailing feathers, then black marabou on top. On bottom, cream marabou
Accents: Mottled rubber legs and sparse gold flash (mfc crinkle or flashabou)
Pectoral fins: Two evenly stacked mallard flank on each side, with a Ruffed Grouse feather overlaying
Head: Large Pseudo eyes with stacked and trimmed deer hair, black on top and brown on bottom

Like most of my large predator streamers I tie it with what I call the archangel wings. Essentially stacking two similar, stiff mallard feathers (used to only use one) on each side and covering it with another accent feather for decoration. The stiff feathers are important- sticking 60-70 degrees out because they push a ton of water, compress on the strip and flare back out on the pause causing the fly to abruptly turn laterally.
Thank you.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Pretty similar to the last sculpin just with a stinger and slightly different feathers from the pheasant were used.

UuIUhAm.jpg

eq8mYuR.jpg

yotXffi.jpg

damn, my photo skills suck....maybe I'll try to get several better shots tomorrow at some point

G_Smolt

Legend
Another one of my patterns - the HayMaker sculpin.
Furled schlappen tail (the "HayMaker" in the name), zonker strip fins, and a fat-ass wool head.
Typically, the smaller members of the cottid family dart with their pectoral fins collapsed, then flare them when the caudal stops moving - the zonker strip fins on this pattern stay close to the body while the fly is swimming, but when you slack the line (like all good sculpin fishermen do...or have I said too much?), the fins "pop" out away from the body, propped up by a cactus chenille collar. The big-ass wool head definitely holds (and pushes) a LOT of water, so they're not super-fun to singlehand, but I initially designed them to be fished off the end of a twohand spraypole on the pulsed swing, and that's where they shine. Good wherever trout (both salty and not-so-salty versions) are found.

The basic Black killer.
HayMakerSculpMidnite.jpg

In Olive with barred tan fins, on its side on a pin to show off the articulated body and overall profile takeaway of fat-ass head and skinny body.
HayMakerSculp.jpg

In "DisneyPuke", an especially savage color combination for large seagoing rainbow trout on blue-sky days.
HayMakerSculpDisneyPuke.jpg

Peace, y'all.

Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The pine squirrel bugger makes a good sculpin imitation when there is contrasting tailing and body materials.
Hook: Firehole 839 #2
Tail: contrasting colors of Finn Raccoon with flash
Rear body: EP Tarantuala 1/2” Woolly Critter brush
Front Body: zonked pine squirrel
AB895A35-109F-4185-A491-AC926BA97EE2.jpeg
5F027501-6441-4B9A-AAA1-B1B208D17304.jpeg

Kado

Steelhead
Size 10 mini jig sculpin for muddy water this winter.
I forgot designer’s name I adapted from….PA YouTuber. I’ve probably watched WAY too many fly tying videos.

Attachments

• 5DCADA9C-B231-439A-B1AF-5E8DFA3658DD.jpeg
    5DCADA9C-B231-439A-B1AF-5E8DFA3658DD.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 18

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
this dumb one (shown earlier) hooked a steelhead today....came unpinned though...oh well.

BCIFhGo.jpg

actually looked really great in the water too, which is a good thing as well....hopefully I'll be able to photographic evidence soon of actual effectiveness....