What's in your vise?

Scottp

Legend
How does the resin body float? Never tried one for a dry. Also what resin do you use
Thanks. It’s Loon UV Thin; never tried it as body coat on a hairwing before so we’ll find out next spring. Can’t imagine it’ll make too much difference; the moose tail and deer wing should keep it up on top.

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Emerald-1080.jpg

Emerald

Winged Wet Fly

Hook - Standard wet fly

Thread - Black

Tail - Light brown

Ribbing - Gold Tinsel

Body - Light green

Hackle - Light brown

Wing - Pale brown mottled

Trout - Ray Bergman

Scottp

Legend
Shrimpy Quail Muddler

52562525737_c429b82a0d_c.jpg

52562980586_8ebe6037e6_c.jpg

52563443715_2518c11788_c.jpg

Giving some lesser-used feathers a shot; was hoping the thorax would prop up the Mearns shoulder but that didn’t happen

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 6/0 rusty brown
tail - bobwhite quail body feather
rib - small wire black
body - Krystal Flash root beer/resin
thorax - Ice Dub pheasant tail
shoulder - Mearns quail body feather
collar/head - caribou

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Stevenson-Special-1080.jpg

Stevenson Special

Steelhead

C. N. Stevenson originated this pattern in the early 1940s. The original wing consisted of mottled brown turkey quill sections.

Hook - Single Salmon

Thread - Black

Tail - Speckled guinea fowl barbs

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel over floss portion of body only

Body - Rear two-thirds, yellow floss; the front third, black ostrich herl

Hackle - Grizzly tied on as a collar and tied back and down; then one full turn of speckled guinea fowl

Wing - Fox squirrel tail tied over the body

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Otter

Steelhead
Shrimpy Quail Muddler

52562525737_c429b82a0d_c.jpg

52562980586_8ebe6037e6_c.jpg

52563443715_2518c11788_c.jpg

Giving some lesser-used feathers a shot; was hoping the thorax would prop up the Mearns shoulder but that didn’t happen

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 6/0 rusty brown
tail - bobwhite quail body feather
rib - small wire black
shoulder - Mearns quail body feather
collar/head - caribou

Regards,
Scott
I like the overall profile, with the tail hackle flared out, the Mearns down a bit, and then the caribou flared out.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Muskrat-Spider-1080.jpg

Muskrat Spider

Soft Hackle

Philip Armstrong of Dalton, Pennsylvania, popularized these flies in the mid-1920s.

Hook - Standard wet fly

Thread - Black

Body - Dubbed muskrat fur

Hackle - Mottled gray Hungarian partridge tied as a collar.

Other variations include a bleach cream, dyed olive, and dyed-black muskrat fur bodies. Still another has a dyed-brown muskrat fur body with a mottled brown Hungarian partridge hackle.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Scottp

Legend
Root Beer Warrior Softhackle

52563751838_f45985dd63_c.jpg

52562760217_7e3424c1bd_c.jpg

52562760132_2fda87a420_c.jpg

Borrowed from the Rainbow Warrior. Tied here as a March Brown something-or-other; smaller sizes (with/without bead head) would be good tailwater fodder.

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tail - sharptail grouse
rib - small wire black
shoulder - sharptail grouse

Regards,
Scott

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Divad was nice enough to send me some FNF "Jelly" (not to be confused with "Slush Jelly") in "pellet" (is that color or flavor?). He included a couple of peacock breast feathers. I was looking at the pellet (flavored, colored) Jelly and the breast feathers wondering if the two could be used together. I tied dyed olive pine squirrel zonker on for a tail, wound some pellet Jelly up and tied on one peacock breast feather for hackle. Wetted, I think it looks pretty fishy. DSCF2719.JPGDSCF2721.JPG

Divad

Whitefish
@Divad was nice enough to send me some FNF "Jelly" (not to be confused with "Slush Jelly") in "pellet" (is that color or flavor?). He included a couple of peacock breast feathers. I was looking at the pellet (flavored, colored) Jelly and the breast feathers wondering if the two could be used together. I tied dyed olive pine squirrel zonker on for a tail, wound some pellet Jelly up and tied on one peacock breast feather for hackle. Wetted, I think it looks pretty fishy. View attachment 45029View attachment 45030
Might be an odd mix but I bet it fishes! I have this peacock obsession right now, peacock with rooster - peacock with mallard - peacock with breakfast!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Divad was nice enough to send me some FNF "Jelly" (not to be confused with "Slush Jelly") in "pellet" (is that color or flavor?). He included a couple of peacock breast feathers. I was looking at the pellet (flavored, colored) Jelly and the breast feathers wondering if the two could be used together. I tied dyed olive pine squirrel zonker on for a tail, wound some pellet Jelly up and tied on one peacock breast feather for hackle. Wetted, I think it looks pretty fishy. View attachment 45029View attachment 45030
wire trace for cuda?...