Craft Beads? Alternative Craft Store Materials to Add "Naturalistic" Characteristics?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Zak ,
What sizes - gape hooks do you use them with?
Can you recall what size they are?
Or better yet, can you put a link to what you ordered?
Here is a link to what I bought, but this product is now unavailable:
Amazon product ASIN B017TQZUP2
A search for: "3mm Transparent Silver Lined Round Loose Spacer Beads" turns up a bunch of hits. Maybe these would be the same or similar:
Amazon product ASIN B0943XBNKH
They fit on most hooks size 10 and smaller. The beads are not identical one to another and the ones that are "long" (i.e., the hole in them is more of a tube) sometimes don't fit around the bend of the kook, depending on the curve of the bend. You might look for just the red color; so far, I have almost exclusively used the red color beads.

The silvering inside seems to make a big difference in how they look in the air and underwater.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I think size of the beads and hook sizes were the big things I was looking for.
From my pic earlier, the 3mm white (glow in dark) bead seems to be the one that has the least problem with fit.

1670110623561.png
Good to know they fit smaller hooks too because a tight gape radius is where I experience the fit problems.

Thanks!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Joann's craft store is my go to, and not just for fly-tying beads, wire, etc..small tools, adhesives, loc-tite, masking tape, storage boxes...periodically check my phone app for their latest sales/coupons...when I see those 40% off sales/coupons, time to shop

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think size of the beads and hook sizes were the big things I was looking for.
From my pic earlier, the 3mm white (glow in dark) bead seems to be the one that has the least problem with fit.

View attachment 43753
Good to know they fit smaller hooks too because a tight gape radius is where I experience the fit problems.

Thanks!
3mm is sometimes called "8/0" on seed bead packaging.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I have purchased glass beads from craft stores like Michaels and Joaan Fabrics & Crafts. From reading these posts, they should have a fly-tying section, seriously.

ABITNF

Steelhead
There's a number of bead shops around and online. I've purchased a few times from Beads by Dee.

I've purchased embroidery threads, yarns, plastic beading material, felting yarn, wire in various colours, foam sheet, alcohol ink for dying metal beads and plated dumbbell eyes, rolls of sheet film, jute and burlap dyed different colours, permanent markers, pins for balanced leech patterns, glues, craft fur and storage supplies in craft shops.

Quilting supply shops and fabric stores have some nice threads. Got some cool barred faux fur at a fabric shop a while back. These are great places for inspiration.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I have purchased glass beads from craft stores like Michaels and Joaan Fabrics & Crafts. From reading these posts, they should have a fly-tying section, seriously.
Bite your tongue! Then they'd bump the prices of everything by 200%
Ooooh, you're right! Well, I've found @Ernie craft stores have had some useful stuff... in addition to beads, like a nit picker, Pony silicone bead lacing, and polypro macrame yarn to make a NZ strike indicator with a (many) lifetime supply of consumables *for <$7*. The polypro yarn also makes a great body and underwing material.

Shipwreck Beads has an amazing inventory of beads.....
That's where I found the Hematite beads.

Last edited:

ABITNF

Steelhead
Another thing worth checking out in craft stores is artificial sinew that leatherworkers use. It comes in different colours and lighter colours can be coloured with permanent markers. I've used it on shellbacks on nymphs and twisted it into a cord for caddis larvae patterns.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Fly stores around me are closed Sunday. I wanted so brown thread so I went to the craft store and got some. Took a second to manhandle a cheap bobbin to fit the spool. Don't know why I've never thought of it before.
View attachment 50954
What is the thread denier? The thread and wire I've tried from craft-sewing stores has turned out to be too large for tying most fly patterns I fish.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Fly stores around me are closed Sunday. I wanted so brown thread so I went to the craft store and got some. Took a second to manhandle a cheap bobbin to fit the spool. Don't know why I've never thought of it before.
View attachment 50954
Leave it off the bobbin holder…
Cut off a length and wax for tying.

Also, that thread is thick and twisted.
That brand has great vibrant colors.
I use it for ribbing mainly.