collar - partridge

Regards,
Scott

RichS

Life of the Party
Alfred's Boatman - Phil Rowley
DSCN2665.JPG
DSCN2662.JPG
May not match perfectly. Here is what I used.
Hook: Fulling Mills Heavy Weight Champ #10
Tail: Pearl Krystal flash or similar
Shellback: Dark green or brown or black thin skin
Body: natural deer hair. Trimmed flat and close on the bottom and somewhat oblong otherwise.
Legs: Flexifloss
Head flourescent orange thread

Meant to be fished either floating or with a sinking line.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I had the pleasure of seeing John tie flies many times when I lived back East. Fantastic. The material for the wing is called "Zing". That's a new one on me. What is it?
You can still buy Zing, I think, and I have some. I'll see if I can find a link. It is a very thin crinkly sheet of plastic or maybe mylar. A lot like thin flashback material but clear without any hue. When you crumple it up, the creases stay visible and look like veins in the wing.

Looks like you can only get Zing from England now, but this would be a good substitute:

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
You can still buy Zing, I think, and I have some. I'll see if I can find a link. It is a very thin crinkly sheet of plastic or maybe mylar. A lot like thin flashback material but clear without any hue. When you crumple it up, the creases stay visible and look like veins in the wing.

Looks like you can only get Zing from England now, but this would be a good substitute:
Thanks. We'll try it.

Reactions: Zak

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
The dubbing mix of chopped crinkled ZLon is pretty useful because it is very "leggy." I suggested mixing up a big bat
I have some ANTRON which I think will work as sub for Z-lon. Very similar. And some clear Swiss Straw which should be good for wing F09353EE-B5E4-4387-99BC-3B1E7E00A439.jpeg30D3767F-9448-4C6B-A8DF-2E02CD3248F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Scottp

Legend
By the way, you can dye Swiss Straw; accidentally dropped a piece in with some feathers and it changed color almost instantly. Haven’t tried it for wings but it looks pretty neat when wrapped as a body.

Regards,
Scott

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
By the way, you can dye Swiss Straw; accidentally dropped a piece in with some feathers and it changed color almost instantly. Haven’t tried it for wings but it looks pretty neat when wrapped as a body.

Regards,
Scott
Scott, I've always used Swiss Straw (Raffia) for wing cases on big stoneflies. Colors well with marker pens.
Tx,
Jack

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've been in a bit of a fly tying funk....tying dumb little egg flies and all. I had to get out of it....I hope I did.

ZRN6b5D.jpg

7Sun3Iz.jpg

52XYzh1.jpg

ixEB5Ho.jpg

Mostly snowrunner and titan dub plus some waterproof markers, a touch of flash and a several saddle hackles (2 on each side)....all reverse tied hollow fly style.

Cheers!