Pontoon travel

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
Curious about people who have traveled by airplane with a generic low cash pontoon. I would check it in with baggage (outcast boat bag) hoping the breakdown oars fit or tether to the bag?? Pay the over weight or extra baggage fee. 50-100$$???? Should I expect issues, airport back lash, more fees. Want to take a cheap toon so in case I donate it to someone while I’m there I won’t be to attached. How have others adapted to this issue and thanks for any future help.
Paul

kerrys

Ignored Member
No replies, unusual.

I haven’t flown with a pontoon boat but I have flown with a bunch of gear. What I ended up doing more times than not was to ship gear via UPS to my hotel instead of carrying it onto the plane. Usually these were trips to Alaska. I would send my stuff to my hotel and notify them of its arrival when I made my reservations. I stayed at the same hotel in Anchorage most trips and they held my gear until I arrived or it was placed in my room on my day of arrival. I would assume a hotel would receive a boat in a bag if they knew it was for a guest. On my return I shipped my gear to my home using the same carrier.

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
No replies, unusual.

I haven’t flown with a pontoon boat but I have flown with a bunch of gear. What I ended up doing more times than not was to ship gear via UPS to my hotel instead of carrying it onto the plane. Usually these were trips to Alaska. I would send my stuff to my hotel and notify them of its arrival when I made my reservations. I stayed at the same hotel in Anchorage most trips and they held my gear until I arrived or it was placed in my room on my day of arrival. I would assume a hotel would receive a boat in a bag if they knew it was for a guest. On my return I shipped my gear to my home using the same carrier.
Thanks I thought about that. Shipping seemed high. But I have not looked into ups. Parallel to what you have done I’m am going to Alaska. My lodging is reserved, I should reach out to them about your suggestion. One local, shared people do it all the time, so that’s a positive. I’m sure they do. That’s why i through it out there. Other expenses are high car rental and shuttles?? Just doing the diy program instead of the much more expensive lodges. Appreciate your thoughts.

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
Hey Kerry did you have any issues with shipment timing? Do you allow several weeks? Any lost goods? Thanks again !!! happy thanksgiving
Paul

kerrys

Ignored Member
Hey Kerry did you have any issues with shipment timing? Do you allow several weeks? Any lost goods? Thanks again !!! happy thanksgiving
Paul
Not that I remember. I did this several years ago when I worked for a company that had a large presence in AK. I made several business trips a year up there so most travel expenses like hotels, rental cars, meals etc. were paid by the company. When I shipped stuff I asked the shipper when it would arrive. UPS was fairly good at being on time. If memory serves me most shipments only took a few days.

The reason I shipped stuff instead of carry on or as checked luggage was because it was so much simpler to ship than deal with the airline and TSA.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't know where you're going but why not just pay the baggage fee? You can find rates with Alaska Airlines here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags I doubt you'd pay more than $100.00 for the checked boat.

I'm not an experienced traveller to Alaska except for one trip this year. I was rather stunned at the size and volume of baggage that was off loaded at the little airport in Yakutat.

Good luck, eh!

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
Paul
I don't know where you're going but why not just pay the baggage fee? You can find rates with Alaska Airlines here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags I doubt you'd pay more than $100.00 for the checked boat.

I'm not an experienced traveller to Alaska except for one trip this year. I was rather stunned at the size and volume of baggage that was off loaded at the little airport in Yakutat.

Good luck, eh!
Yeah Yukatat that’s where I’m headed. That’s what I read up as well. Just a couple big maybe oversized bags. Sounds like people Have been doing this for some time. Nothing new. But thought I’d raise the question. Everyone is getting ready for hibernation up there and it’s amazing how booked things are in advance. Thank you for referencing 👍

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
If you are thinking about taking a cheap pontoon boat and leaving it there, why not buy one there? Or buy a cheap one and have it shipped there?
Thanks Wayne, because I have them and don’t really use them anymore. I got them in a pinch several years ago.👍
Paul

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned
Not that I remember. I did this several years ago when I worked for a company that had a large presence in AK. I made several business trips a year up there so most travel expenses like hotels, rental cars, meals etc. were paid by the company. When I shipped stuff I asked the shipper when it would arrive. UPS was fairly good at being on time. If memory serves me most shipments only took a few days.

The reason I shipped stuff instead of carry on or as checked luggage was because it was so much simpler to ship than deal with the airline and TSA.
Thanks Kerry 👍

Pddropingpucks

Freshly Spawned

Good luck, eh!
How was your experience up there in Yakutat?

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My son just flew to Turkey with his pack-raft. He checked his bag too and none of it showed up until a week late. Not what you would want to happen.