7 vs 8 wt for PDX area winter steelhead?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thinking about getting a longer rod, 13+ feet for winter steelhead for NW Oregon and SW Washington bigger rivers. Skagit heads, 10/12 foot tips, I usually throw a Hohbo or a MOAL. Should it be an 8wt?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I would look at an 8 or 7/8 to throw big junk.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
7 is the most popular by quite a bit, and what I grab most the time. 8 if you really want to throw heavy stuff, but I rarely throw heavy around here.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm a fan of the 540 - 600 grain window for winter work. Rarely feel like I need more line than 600. That could be a 7 on the lower end of that window or an 8. Depends on which rod you get I guess.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I cast a 450 gr Skagit head on my 7 wt CND Solstice, 13' 4" and have never felt a need for anything heavier. I toss winter flies that are about 4" long, but not as heavy as rabbit strip MOALs.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I cast a 450 gr Skagit head on my 7 wt CND Solstice, 13' 4" and have never felt a need for anything heavier. I toss winter flies that are about 4" long, but not as heavy as rabbit strip MOALs.
Damn. No way with my skill can I get the flies I like or the tips I use out there w/ a 450. Skill (or lack thereof in my case) is probably a factor as well.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I typically fish like 10' of T-10 and a Hoh-Bo Spey for most my winter spots. It's a fairly med-light load and 7wt is more than enough for it. Stopped dealing with bunny flies or other needlessly heavy stuff a long time ago. I also stay away from the heavy tips for the most part as my catch rates went up with the lighter stuff.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I actually throw a Hohbo with 10' of t-11 the majority of the time. Maybe I should think about a 13'+ 7 and look into tying the larger scandinavian salmon style tube flies for bigger profile stuff. Those are all thrown on a "scandi" style head with a single spey across the pond

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Damn. No way with my skill can I get the flies I like or the tips I use out there w/ a 450. Skill (or lack thereof in my case) is probably a factor as well.
Some casters prefer a 500 gr head on the Solstice. When I was learning to cast I liked heavier lines than rods were rated for so that I could better feel the load. As I improved I no longer needed that crutch. I don't use super heavy tips either. Mostly 8 wt RIO 15' type III and VI, or other tips I happened upon. Presently have that line loaded with about 9' of T-II that started out as 12'.

skyrise

Steelhead
480 gr skagit on a 13 ft seven weight rod. 10-15 ft tips in t8 - t11. Mostly marabou intruders to #1 singles.

Divad

Whitefish
@DerekWhipple you are in the middle of a preference window, throwing MOALS/Hoh Bo @ T11 could be a 7wt or 8wt game. To be honest I seldom go more than T11 for our SW rivers I call home and I run the 7wt. I will also use an intermediate head from times (Groove).

I'd say go 7wt, more than enough to pull in winters and those flies at great distance. If you want to throw even bigger stuff forego some presentation for the shorter Skagit heads: OPST Commando/Groove, SA Skagit Lite/Short or Airflo Scout.

If you had to pick two heads I would go with a Airflo Scout and a OPST Groove or SA Skagit Spey Lite Intermediate. The intermediate really helps cut through chop at high water in those prime riffly runs.

Last edited:

gpt

Smolt
the one and only rod i used for steelhead, when they were still around, my SAGE RPL 8wt. winter or summer, DT, WF, heads and so on. a perfect fit for steelhead fishing year around.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
@DerekWhipple

If you had to pick two heads I would go with a Airflo Scout and a OPST Groove or SA Skagit Spey Lite Intermediate. The intermediate really helps cut through chop at high water in those prime riffly runs.
I can't speak for TH rods, since I'm still in the dark ages of SH rod preference for all of my steelhead work, but this, above ^^^^

I honestly use my intermediate head far more than my floating Commando heads....a short section of T10 or T12 and I'm in the game just about everywhere. I also keep an intermediate tip in my box for shallow work.

Frenchcaster

Freshly Spawned
I’ve asked myself the same question many times. At the end of the day the 7 weights cast everything I need so I never bought that 8 weight. I go up to 12’ of T14 with a 525G head and try to avoid “wet sock” flies. I use a 13’6 Meiser CX and a Burkie 7139.

Speyfishingcowboy

Freshly Spawned
I ended up getting an 8wt Full Spey. It's taken a little getting used to since my other rods are 12 feet or shorter, but its much easier to huck big uglies way out there.
good choice i use a 7134 however covet a 8126 or 8136 $$$$ is the only resistance

also your choice of 13 ft is great i will often toss 15 ft of T17 when the surf if up!