Adjustable Sighters

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've been using Skaffars sighter wax, for the last year or so. It enables me to run 6ft of tippet and paint on a sighter, when I'm fishing shallower, so I don't have to adjust my tippet length and/or angle of entry. However, it has two flaws.

1. It is wax and you need to press the line against it, with your finger, so it is a bit messy. It's equally messy to remove.

2. It's not very opaque. My guess is that the product is basically just pigment and wax. The result is something more like Amnesia (transparent) than proper sighter mono (opaque). Under sunlight, it glows and has better visibility than sighter mono. However, it is difficult to see under shade.

I've started experimenting with alternatives and I'm going to document my experiences here. Assume Skaffars gets a score of 5/10, on all attributes.
  • Crafty Croc Liquid Chalk Markers
    • https://a.co/d/2aJv36E
    • 10/10 visibility; good colors and completely opaque.
    • 10/10 application; one pass of the pen tip is sufficient and causes no mess.
    • 0/10 durability; comes off too easily, in water.
    • 7/10 mess; can apply cleanly and very easy to remove (from anything), but will transfer on contact.
  • ArtShip Design Acrylic Paint Pens
    • https://a.co/d/d2w4FuL
    • 7/10 visibility; good colors, but not fully opaque.
    • 7/10 application; you can use the pen tip, but you need multiple passes.
    • 7/10 durability; once dry, it is very durable.
    • 10/10 mess; can apply cleanly, flakes off when removed and doesn't transfer easily.
  • Plata Chalk Markers
    • https://a.co/d/53Bs2XH
    • 8/10 visibility; fully opaque, but the colors are not as vibrant.
    • 10/10 application; one pass of the pen tip gets the job done.
    • 10/10 durability; this stuff is actually difficult to get off.
    • 10/10 mess; applies cleanly, doesn't transfer easily and is easy to remove from your hands.
It is a close call, between the ArtShip and Plata products. I think that both are better than Skafars. My needs are met, so I don't plan to try out any other products. I'll probably use the Plata pens, even though it takes a bit of work to remove it from the line; the better visibility and easier application seem to be worth it.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Backing barrel knots with or without tags make a great adjustable indicator when tight line nymphing. So too does using this as a section above your indicator tippet (plus it's stupid cheap--I've now got enough to last me roughly 1,000 rigs):

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I also use a piece of backing when I can't see the sighter material as well. This is interesting as I have trouble finding the line some days. My go to this summer has been to add a dry a foot below my sighter. I don't care if it fishes wet or out of the water, it gives me a reference. Catches lots of fish too. But I don't fish a very pure ESN style.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
@jaredoconnor
Have you ever tried a small amount of biostrike putty? Similar concept to the wax, but it sticks a bit better.

Or another suggestion, use a really small new zealand strike indicator. You can use a pretty damn small amount of yarn. Hell, you could even basically cut it off and have what amounts to a small hi vis little chunk of tube on your line.

Just some thoughts from team bobber.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
@jaredoconnor
Have you ever tried a small amount of biostrike putty? Similar concept to the wax, but it sticks a bit better.

Or another suggestion, use a really small new zealand strike indicator. You can use a pretty damn small amount of yarn. Hell, you could even basically cut it off and have what amounts to a small hi vis little chunk of tube on your line.

Just some thoughts from team bobber.

Biostrike and the NZ yarn system have various problems, for tight-to-the-fly techniques. The closest thing that works is backing barrels, mentioned earlier. I did use them, for a while, but I slightly prefer the sighter wax.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Biostrike and the NZ yarn system have various problems, for tight-to-the-fly techniques. The closest thing that works is backing barrels, mentioned earlier. I did use them, for a while, but I slightly prefer the sighter wax.
I tend to prefer the wax, too, but that shit does not come out of the headliner of a car when your guides apparently have it on them.

image.jpg
Downside to having ready-to-go rods in the car.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Backing barrel knots with or without tags make a great adjustable indicator when tight line nymphing. So too does using this as a section above your indicator tippet (plus it's stupid cheap--I've now got enough to last me roughly 1,000 rigs):

Funnily enough, I ran out of Amnesia last week and just switched over. I don't like the color as much as the original Amnesia, but it seems to be good enough.

57E04FE3-632F-44B9-AB0B-20B208155C4C.jpeg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The wax looks interesting. I think you had mentioned that a while back, Jared. What I've started doing is use 3 barrel knots of backing material with short tag ends left on. 2 of these are on my regular sighter tippet (on opposing sides so it's spread out) and if I add a 3rd, it'll be above that and I can just slide them up and down as required for visibility. Either way, adding something to the sighter tippet material is nice for added visibility.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I tend to prefer the wax, too, but that shit does not come out of the headliner of a car when your guides apparently have it on them.

View attachment 32330
Downside to having ready-to-go rods in the car.

The ArtShip product is promising, so far. It doesn't seem like it will transfer anywhere near as much. I already prefer it.

If the pen leaks though, you're probably gonna have a bad time. I might store mine in a ziplock bag.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The wax looks interesting. I think you had mentioned that a while back, Jared. What I've started doing is use 3 barrel knots of backing material with short tag ends left on. 2 of these are on my regular sighter tippet (on opposing sides so it's spread out) and if I add a 3rd, it'll be above that and I can just slide them up and down as required for visibility. Either way, adding something to the sighter tippet material is nice for added visibility.

The wax is for your tippet, not your sighter. I still use backing barrels, on my sighter. Putting the wax on your tippet allows you to run the same length of tippet, all day, and just use the wax to adjust your effective tippet length.

For example, if you know the longest your tippet will be is 6ft, you put on 6ft of tippet. If you need to fish at 3ft, you add 3ft of wax to the top of your tippet. That effectively extends your sighter 3 feet toward the fly.

I experimented with putting backing barrels on my tippet, but I needed at least 3 to have enough points to detect subtle takes. It still wasn't as sensitive as a contiguous length of sighter (wax or otherwise). It's also a pain to tie on three barrels, if you lose or replace all your tippet.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I experimented with putting backing barrels on my tippet, but I needed at least 3 to have enough points to detect subtle takes. It still wasn't as sensitive as a contiguous length of sighter (wax or otherwise). It's also a pain to tie on three barrels, if you lose or replace all your tippet.
The solution is easy. don't lose your tippet. :LOL: Barrel knots are hard?

So you still use a sighter PLUS wax down lower? Man, this is beginning to feel like a lot of work.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

So you still use a sighter PLUS wax down lower? Man, this is beginning to feel like a lot of work.
It is a bit more work to wax down lower, but it’s worth it.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

It's easier than changing your tippet. I'm very lazy, when it comes to things like that.

I'm the kind of guy that will fish a foot too shallow, for 2 hours, because a 2 minute tippet change is too hard.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just had an idea of maybe sliding a few inch section of some type of braid over the tippet? Maybe the lightest dacron or gel spun you can get? Thread the tippet through that and use something tacky to get it to stay in place. Slide it up and down the tippet as needed.

I just thought of it reading this thread, so I don't know if it would be too heavy for 6 or 7x tippet, but I would think backing barrels would have more of an effect on your drift. Could also be a real pain to thread light tippet through it.