What's Catching You Fish?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Ah, you're a competitive fisher.

Someone else improving their fishing experience is never going to bother me, and the guy in the next boat using my favorite fly pattern is not going to make my fly less effective or result in an overpressured resource.
It's not the same as hotspotting - places can get overcrowded or overfished
You were kind enough to share with me what fly was working for you on the ancient cataract. I tied one up with the red bead and have had great days with it. I dare not hotspot the pattern. 😏

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
a pair of slump buster type deals with pine squirrel
20220625_slumpbusters.jpg
pulled a pair of twins, this one wouldn't come off 'till in the net
20220625_pair.jpg
lots of change and fresh cobble, most of the holding spots are gone and no bugs yet. Looking like the long spell of high water really messed things up.
20220625_tsuc.jpg

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished some of the waters in your area off and on for years. Yes, high water years mess up the holding water, but it gets reestablished over the following years. Until another high water event messes it all up again….

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Hit a local somewhat finicky (well-known) river. Greeted by a doe when I parked, she was friendly but needed to be shoo’d away from the road so she wouldn’t fall victim the clueless hikers/bikers/kayakers from the city aimlessly searching for trailheads and foliage to park on.
9E51DB83-72DD-48F1-877D-A561F755CCB2.jpeg
Took some toying around but finally found the magic bullet - partridge and orange under a chubby Chernobyl. The Chernobyl was merely an indicator today, but the nymph just below the surface was a hit. Lots of bites, and a few landed. (Also tried out the new-to-me camera)
93F13E55-5FE0-4481-A04F-67218F13895F.jpegCD92D204-E53C-4588-B130-14C7B12AF2FB.jpeg06A1840E-2CAF-4EC0-BC2C-7F441D4B6239.jpeg3C3338B2-36F3-47E7-8025-9FEE863AF1F8.jpeg
02DDC066-9EFC-4484-AF78-9D9E78D195AA.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
SBS please?!
How about a little video that I used to guide me?

@Jim F. (thanks again, Jim!) sent me two dies he sharpened so I could cut the foam (2 mm in my case), the dies are .204 c. I use 30# Tuf Line to string the foam - you can see that I captured a bead with a loop in the Tuf Line to prevent the foam cylinders from sliding off (the Tuff Line is doubled through the center of each foam cylinder. The Tuf Line gets lashed to the hook shank. I dubbed Canadian Brown Simiseal for the body and pheasant rump for hackle (the lead eyes are "small" and the beads are 3.2 mm tungsten. The lead eyes are kept back from the eye of the hook in hopes the hook point will ride up (the foam trouser tail really helps keep the hook eye up). All credit to McTage.

I thought I'd used Owner 4306-091 "no escape" hooks (size 2) but I'm not sure it really matters. I do like the gap and short shank and it's barbless.

Good luck, thanks for asking.
Patrick

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
We'll, this mangled fly in the Bass mouth is what caught me this little "other" invasive...

3MJGQ2B.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
These were good again today, greens and browns, totally ignored.
20220704_flies.jpg

Attachments

• 20220705_trout.jpg
    20220705_trout.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 7