Tigers (the musky variety) patterns.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
All right, here's my latest SBS for my latest iteration of my jerk bait style fly. If you want more of a glide action in it, add weight further up the shank (preferably on the underside)

A6lCNn4.jpg

pteHcss.jpg

PrimoTail
mr5OBv0.jpg

foam tied on top of the shank (it helps it keep its keel)
lDSCgOH.jpg

Snowrunner (nayat) reverse tied
BmiZTri.jpg

more Primotail (this isn't black, but it's something like "Afterdark", which, IMO, has way more depth than straight up black.
sDG013y.jpg

backside of a chartreuse tail (x2)
JfcBgap.jpg

I like to trim the ends so they don't stick out in weird angles when it's finished (and they will---but don't seem to impede the action much, if at all)
7rhTpuN.jpg

I'm not sure how many images I can include in a single message, so here's 1/2

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
2/2

backside of a red tail (not totally necessary but it gives that subtle gill look to the finished product
XfxlNtJ.jpg

4Qx6egE.jpg

again, probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt...
CSN3nvr.jpg

It doesn't hurt to have two different colors top and bottom. Here, because this is basically an all black fly, I chose this lighter color to both give it some sort of divide when it kicks to the side and up/down but more importantly, so I can see it easier. Muskies are coming at it from below, so they're not going to see much of this.
HfeFYCj.jpg

finished product
VytOMMF.jpg

This thing will self correct naturally tied as is, but if you want it to do so quicker, tie in the weights under the shank, which also helps with the glide action. Also, as tied above, it will act more like a jerk bait.

🍻

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
2/2

backside of a red tail (not totally necessary but it gives that subtle gill look to the finished product
XfxlNtJ.jpg

4Qx6egE.jpg

CSN3nvr.jpg

It doesn't hurt to have two different colors top and bottom. Here, because this is basically an all black fly, I chose this lighter color to both give it some sort of divide when it kicks to the side and up/down but more importantly, so I can see it easier. Muskies are coming at it from below, so they're not going to see much of this.
HfeFYCj.jpg

finished product
VytOMMF.jpg

This thing will self correct naturally tied as is, but if you want it to do so quicker, tied in the weights under the shank, which also helps with the glide action. Also, as tied above, it will act more like a jerk bait.

🍻
Hell yeah, thank you!!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man some Bucktail is really getting scarce
No black primo tail
Most of the Hareline stuff is pretty short
I tried Lund fishing
I’ll report on the quality

2/2

XfxlNtJ.jpg

4Qx6egE.jpg

CSN3nvr.jpg

HfeFYCj.jpg

finished product
VytOMMF.jpg

This thing will self correct naturally tied as is, but if you want it to do so quicker, tie in the weights under the shank, which also helps with the glide action. Also, as tied above, it will act more like a jerk bait.

🍻
Have you ever tried putting eyes on them? I heard it makes it waaaaaaay more effective! Just my two cents.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Smart ass remarks aside.... These are solid SBS pics. You'll have to show me how you do the rattle. Virtual tying night soon?
Yeah man, lmk

btw, see? I can add eyes sometimes....may have to rip these off soon though.

fJKgy0a.jpg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
9 out of 10 of my tigers come on eyeless flies. That's proof....never mind the fact that 9 out of the 10 primary flies I regularly fish don't have eyes either.

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
F9B23193-125F-4B56-B37B-84E4D333EDD7.jpeg
This from lundsflyshop.com
It’s called Wamba hair
Long and fairly soft
Softer than fuzzy fiber but more coarse than sheep/nyat
Looks promising
Their Bucktail wasn’t impressive

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thought I’d resurrect this thread for the new year
I’ve been tying with body tubing. Here some 1/8” is tied into the fly as you can see:
DE6D8447-8A95-4FAA-BE8B-18698A984E49.jpeg
The next tie is buck tail or some really fine long fibers ( goat hair, fish hair). The tube is light and replaces the bulkhead tie that I would normally use and still gives a great profile.
This fly is articulated.
After the tubing I would tie Bucktail then fibers then saddle then the head.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve been tying with body tubing. Here some 1/8” is tied into the fly as you can see:
View attachment 49023
The next tie is buck tail or some really fine long fibers ( goat hair, fish hair). The tube is light and replaces the bulkhead tie that I would normally use and still gives a great profile.
This fly is articulated.
Here’s the fly:
7FFA6D7A-B874-43C7-AB0F-B60EBF31541B.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
View attachment 49023
This fly is articulated.

I love seeing the inside of this fly. I'm currently watching/listening to a podcast with Joe Goodspeed who ties some crazy awesome musky flies that don't really look like much on the outside. My favorite quote is, "lots of guys can tie a fly that looks like a good musky fly, but what often makes a great musky fly is always what's underneath"