What's in your vise?

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It has big red eyes!
Thinking I'd like to have something there with a bit more contrast for the fish to key in on.

The red spot has been a good budget option since I've been scrapping and recycling so many of these bugs.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just yet another little Baja fly I probably won't need....not much to it. Just a bucktail base and then flash/slinky reverse tied for the head....eyes, and that's pretty much it. Also, copic markers are your friend...

PXL_20230522_062226595.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thinking I'd like to have something there with a bit more contrast for the fish to key in on.

The red spot has been a good budget option since I've been scrapping and recycling so many of these bugs.
On big flies I kind of like craft store googly eyes- they even rattle a bit.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
As the fish acclimate I would like to start to switch over to some of the flies that ScottP has introduced us to that I tied up this winter. Always looking for a good middle dropper fly I found the Scara Monger on Rob Denson's site. Subbed materials to what I had on hand.
20230522_103107.jpg
Kinda like it on a 10 1xl too. Maybe a juvenile sunfish or just an attractor, not sure.

Attachments

• 20230522_111812.jpg
    20230522_111812.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
@master baiter posted a trip report in the saltwater section not too long ago. I loved the close up shot of a fly he was using so tried to tie something up similar (using my new Squimpish Hair that @Kfish tipped me off to).

It needs work, I think the wing could be fuller and not quite as long. But the orange gill hot spot came out well.

Tied on a #6 Mustad 34007 hook.IMG_4169.jpeg

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Knowle-s-Fancy-1080.jpg

Knowle's Fancy

Ribbing - Silver tinsel
Body - Light brown wool
Hackle - Brown
Wing - From black cock’s tail feather (bluish black) *

* In absence of the iridescent black feather for the wing, black may be used.

Trout - Ray Bergman

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Hudson-1080.jpg

Hudson

Tail - Green quill sections
Tail-tag - Orange floss
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body: Dark brown, almost black wool
Hackle - Orange
Wing - Light brown mottled turkey

From Don Bastian Notes

Examination of the Trout color plate painting reveals a tail-tag as a short orange stub of floss topping the quill section tail. J. Edson Leonard, author of the book, Flies, correctly designates this component application, usually of floss or wool, as a tail-tag. A tag is always at the end of the body, underneath the tail, and a tip is at the end of the body, encircling (in front of) the tail.

Trout - Ray Bergman

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Artful-Dodger-1080.jpg

Artful Dodger

Tip - Gold tinsel
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Dark claret floss
Hackle - Light claret
Wing - Pheasant (or dark brown turkey) *

From Don Bastian Notes

* The recipe listing for the Artful Dodger calls for a pheasant wing. Dark brown turkey was substituted on this fly and others calling for a pheasant wing because turkey is more readily available.

Trout - Ray Bergman

Scottp

Legend
Nondescript Muddler

52920736799_2f428f91e5_c.jpg

52921029368_9fb110284b_c.jpg

52920572691_b3f47eab48_c.jpg

hook - Sierra 2312 #12
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
body - hare’s ear bleached
hackle - brown (undersize by 2)
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
shoulder - mottled hen
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Divad

Whitefish
Am I missing a secret section of tying material or do you bass anglers accept the 1/2 pack of rubber legs/flexifloss used per fly?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Am I missing a secret section of tying material or do you bass anglers accept the 1/2 pack of rubber legs/flexifloss used per fly?
I think Billy uses actual lure skirts. Mine above is tied with FTD bug legs ($1.35 per 200 strand pack) and that's actually less than a tenth of a pack for each color. They're kind of curly, so it looks bulky but is lightweight and the curly strands wiggle a lot in the water.