What's Catching You Fish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Yep, I stand corrected.
I had to ask the forum last summer.
Like someone else said, this forum is great. Just a couple years ago I was saying how overwhelmed I was stillwater fishing. Now I'm pretty confident I can have some success. AND and the grandson and I can go fish until he gets bored with catching! Learned so much here.
Thanks all.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice night on the dock. I got two trout and a small perch on the SSL, and a tiny pumpkin seed on a stripped cary special. Walking back, there was a mess of scraps of rabbit fur on the ground. Looks like something got a rabbit last night or today.

The night before last my dog went out to investigate some really loud growling by the water's edge and two creatures tumbled into the water, still growling and snarling and carrying on. I never got a good look but saw their eyes shine in the flashlight. I'm pretty sure it was a pair of otters.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Took my wife out to a local put-n-take lake for her to get a little more float tube experience. It’s been two weeks since the lake was stocked, so I was torn whether to continue trolling a floater on top or go deeper with sinking lines. I decided to set her up with a type iii and an olive Willy, which got several hits but no sweet hookups.

I tried the floater with a #12 jig style mini-leech. It got largely ignored until near the end of our outing, when I picked up a couple 9” stockers. They were fun on a 3wt.

IMG_4127.jpeg

I still feel like we were too deep and too shallow to be in the “2 weeks post-planting” zone. I would’ve put us both on clear lines if I had a couple of the right weight for our light set ups.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
My husband, my fishing buddy, and I all hit a local lake for stockers today, fishing from our Hobies.

It was slow till I put a specific fly on - I don't even know what to call it - then I quickly picked up a half dozen. Since I only had the one, I passed it to my buddy and she promptly caught several. She passed it to my hubby, and he got a few, also.
Here's the fly. It was tied with shed Moluccan Cockatoo feathers from my sister's domestically bred pet bird (all perfectly legal!)

Name ideas? I think I have more of the feathers somewhere...
20220112_230700.jpg
Screenshot_20230430_162337.jpg
*stock photo, not my sister's actual bird

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
My husband, my fishing buddy, and I all hit a local lake for stockers today, fishing from our Hobies.

It was slow till I put a specific fly on - I don't even know what to call it - then I quickly picked up a half dozen. Since I only had the one, I passed it to my buddy and she promptly caught several. She passed it to my hubby, and he got a few, also.
Here's the fly. It was tied with shed Moluccan Cockatoo feathers from my sister's domestically bred pet bird (all perfectly legal!)

View attachment 63618
View attachment 63619
Cockatoo spider. Very nice. I’m thinking a SRC would hammer that fly.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter

View attachment 63618
View attachment 63619
That color combo of spider, admittedly without the awesome cockatoo feathers, has occasionally been awesome for stockers and holdovers for me when nothing else was going.
5000B243-EC5B-49F4-940A-73E2E1F05E3D.jpeg9ADCA20C-41D1-4F96-8C51-84BF55F56444.jpeg