Topwater 2023

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Going from memory, but I beleive 2/0 for the xl head is what I use. Adjust down accordingly to size of head.
I got some popper heads, and some B10s’ my locals supply of ahrex was minimal at best.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
@Long_Rod_Silvers
These are a simple way to start tying and fishing topwater. No pricey popper heads required, easy to cast, completely scaleable. And they work!
View attachment 62957
View attachment 62959
Sweet!! I'll have to give those a try.
Full disclosure, we had a few Copic parties last summer (free child labor) where the kids went to town painting popper heads...so I've got quite a few heads still I need to tie up.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
@Long_Rod_Silvers
These are a simple way to start tying and fishing topwater. No pricey popper heads required, easy to cast, completely scaleable. And they wor
View attachment 62959
If i were to use that fly and fish out of my Hobie (looks like yours), does that by extension mean i will def catch that fish? I’m in! If i also have to wear sandals with socks in order to get the mojo though, I’m not sure I’m in. I’m a flip flops (aka slaps) guy myself.

Kidding aside nice fish!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
If i were to use that fly and fish out of my Hobie (looks like yours), does that by extension mean i will def catch that fish? I’m in! If i also have to wear sandals with socks in order to get the mojo though, I’m not sure I’m in. I’m a flip flops (aka slaps) guy myself.

Kidding aside nice fish!
Lol - it was cold in the morning! I lost the socks by noon 😎

Same fly, same Hobie snagged me one each LM and SM this morning on a lake that usually hands me my butt. So yeah, chances are good!
20230426_101644.jpg
20230426_102156.jpg

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I went to the local yesterday evening. All I got was a evening on the water. Maybe aittle too early yet for a good evening bite.

Shad

Life of the Party
Cool thread. I had great success (some days) fishing simple gurglers on my recent trip to Florida (yeah, I know, but bass are bass, right?). I just used a marabou tail with a couple strands of flash, a medium ice chenille body, and a single piece of 2mm foam, tied in on top of the tail, drawn over the body, and tied down in front, leaving about a 1/4 inch for gurgling. Easy to cast on a 6-wt. And tons of fun to fish.

I plan to experiment with some other patterns. That Stealth Bomber looks great!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Billy The Bass Man!

If Billy were in a band

bass-bass-jpg.275102

Last edited:

Fishues

Smolt
So glad the top water game is starting on the west side. Water temp was 65 degrees a foot below the surface yesterday compared to 60 degrees a week ago. Landed 6 fish in the evening, the first one right when @rotato came rowing up to the area I was working! Had a couple of other swirls that didn’t commit, all in all a great outing. Biggest were around 17 inches with fat bellies. Should only get better the next month or so…A90F567A-AE26-4528-BD13-3AB242BDA8A5.jpegCC67C371-92B0-4419-8570-001129FD06DB.jpeg