Line weight/type question

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I was fishing Hood Canal Wednesday morning and wanted to fish my SA Mastery Series Uniform Sink + (WF6S, type 5) on my 690 Ion XL. If I'm getting the right information from the internet, this line is 210 grains with front and rear bellys (heads?) of 7' and 27'. I was trying for distance and wanting the line to swing as we fished from a boat idling parallel to the shoreline. Eventually I switched to a Rio CoastalQuickshooter WF6I - that line works so much better at loading the rod than the SA. What am I missing, in terms of load the rod, with the SA compared to the CQS?

As it turned out, the Rio CQS was every bit as effective at getting bit as my friend who was fishing his type V.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If they’re the same grain weight at 30’, maybe head taper? CQS is two line weights above stated line weight, and has a very short and aggressive back taper--it's almost a skagit head on some thin running line. The rear taper is what transfers power to the line, so a shorter taper can mean a lot more power is transmitted.

There also might be some extra power hidden in the slinky coils the cqs likes to make.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
If they’re the same grain weight at 30’, maybe head taper? CQS is two line weights above stated line weight, and has a very short and aggressive back taper--it's almost a skagit head on some thin running line. The rear taper is what transfers power to the line, so a shorter taper can mean a lot more power is transmitted.

There also might be some extra power hidden in the slinky coils the cqs likes to make.
Thanks Jake -
When I bought this rod (Gig Harbor Fly Shop) they were smart enough to have a couple reels with different lines to go test cast it. I remember the line other line was an Airflo but I'm clueless now what it was. I'd buy another CQS if they were still in production but it seems Rio only has the CQS XP.

Those slinky coils on the CQS are money for size 12's always being in the way.

skyrise

Steelhead
Maybe try the Outbound short in the appropriate line weight ? I bought another OBS for tropical use in a certain place because of much wind in the fall. Also can use this line on a light switch/spey rod for beach use around here.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Maybe try the Outbound short in the appropriate line weight ? I bought another OBS for tropical use in a certain place because of much wind in the fall. Also can use this line on a light switch/spey rod for beach use around here.
Maybe so, thanks (that's what GHFS is recommending). I'm wondering what folks are using for their beach rods (man, this isn't a new question) other than Rio?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Maybe so, thanks (that's what GHFS is recommending). I'm wondering what folks are using for their beach rods (man, this isn't a new question) other than Rio?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Thanks Wayne - got some readin' to do.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Airflo 40+ and Arctic Silver Compact for my rods