2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

Big Tuna

Steelhead
Though I understand and share the frustrations, without these NGO's Pebble Mine would be moving forward and the steelhead situation would be more dire. Without the threat of lawsuits, every last tree would be cut down and every fish caught or harvested. Just ask the passenger pigeons. NGO's will be a necessity as long as humans are insatiably greedy and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh I didn't mean to call you out specifically. I was just marveling at the progression from being mad at WDFW, then the fish checkers, then the tribes, then the Feds, now it's the .orgs.

I get it, it sucks. I've never fished the Skagit and was panning my first trip up this spring. At this point it just kind of feels like bitching about inflation though.... Old man yells at clouds!

I took no offense to your comment. No feelings were hurt. I didn't take it as a call out. I was truly being sincere and honest with my reply. You are very correct that frustration looks for a place to roost. It's like the bears in Alaska. Very jovial and good natured in the riches of a good run. They become real assholes as the run dries up. I've always thought this real world analogy fits our current steelhead situation and other situations in life.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The good thing about Tuesdays is...
There's always another one, so you don't have to be real specific, and always have a one in seven chance of being correct.
:)
My rock is worn down a bit, so going to take 3 steps downstream to a new rock.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I submitted the proposal to change the thread title to NMFS for review a month ago, so hopefully by 2026 or so.
Smokey has a concern about that. He'll get back to you....well, when he feels like it.
1678954272388.png

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Do the banks defaulting and the stock market going down impact steelhead and this fishery? I’m kidding but at this point nothing would surprise me.

Never forget everyone that WDFW and the Feds did not make these fish, did not make the river, and obviously do not know much about the Skagit unless they live here. These agencies have no metric what so ever to show that they have even improved these fisheries. It’s all a song and dance and like lawyers, these agencies get paid either way.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do the banks defaulting and the stock market going down impact steelhead and this fishery? I’m kidding but at this point nothing would surprise me.

Never forget everyone that WDFW and the Feds did not make these fish, did not make the river, and obviously do not know much about the Skagit unless they live here. These agencies have no metric what so ever to show that they have even improved these fisheries. It’s all a song and dance and like lawyers, these agencies get paid either way.
Don't misunderstand. It's not about the fish or the river, altho it's pretty much about the Skagit. What's it's really about is the "process." Because all wild PS steelhead are listed as threatened under the ESA, any management action that may potentially adversely affect listed species, the action by a federal agency (NMFS) triggers an ESA consultation requiring a biological opinion and Section 4(d) rule. That is the process. It's all about the process. The process is the agency product. Having a fishing season and going fishing is an incidental by-product of the all important process. And yes, the agency staff gets paid regardless of whether steelhead populations are doing better or worse or if anyone goes fishing. Since it's not about those things. It's about the process, and people get paid to conduct the process.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Don't misunderstand. It's not about the fish or the river, altho it's pretty much about the Skagit. What's it's really about is the "process." Because all wild PS steelhead are listed as threatened under the ESA, any management action that may potentially adversely affect listed species, the action by a federal agency (NMFS) triggers an ESA consultation requiring a biological opinion and Section 4(d) rule. That is the process. It's all about the process. The process is the agency product. Having a fishing season and going fishing is an incidental by-product of the all important process. And yes, the agency staff gets paid regardless of whether steelhead populations are doing better or worse or if anyone goes fishing. Since it's not about those things. It's about the process, and people get paid to conduct the process.
At least that is easy to process.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
By your reasoning we need to wait several more years and view the returns to see what effect we had on the spawners while we were fishing.
You mean while we were not fishing?

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
You're the one taking it personal. You clearly based on your testimony don't fit the stereotype. Got it, loud and clear. Stereotypes aren't there for nothing though. Stereotypes aren't personal. That's the whole point of them.
Stereotypes are intellectually lazy and often times hurtful to those being stereotyped. It's not for you to say what someone else does or does not take personally. You have a right to your opinion, but when you write it or say it, it comes with consequences.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If there is no announcement today, we are down to a potential 4 weeks. One of those weeks is a spring break week for my kids, so 3 for me. uuuggghh. I have not fished in quite a while. I miss it.

OTOH, I am my groups are tightening. I should be ready for archery elk next fall.