Seems like euro jigs are tied wrong side up

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
/rant Doesn't it seem like the jig style euronymphs are tied upside down? When fished, the wingcase ends up on the bottom or the black spot on the head of a perdigon isn't on top.

I guess it doesn't matter, but it seems like the wing case should be on the gape side of the hook. /endrant

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like mine tied in the 'round style. Seem to catch more fish and easier to tie.
index.php

This one I just started on has legs, but still no top or bottom. It's got some attention already so I think it's gonna work.
20230314_flywet.jpg
I have not had much success with perdigons so I'm no help there.

Last edited:

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
From 2016: https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/b...invert-or-not-to-invert-that-is-the-question/

TLDR: Insects often have little to no control drifting through the water column, so fish often see them tumbling around. There really isn't a "right" side up and they don't care.
Gee, you guys ruined a perfectly good rant with links to well reasoned explanations. :cool:

Thanks anyway!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I had a jig leech on a cut tag. Here is what it looks like in water with a loop knot. It goes horizontal with a slight pull then falls perpendicular again. No lead wraps. So it probably sits like this when the indicator is stationary, then more horizontal on the retrieve or in the river fished at a different speed than the current.
20230316_062103.jpg

Last edited:

Flytyer

Smolt
I like mine tied in the 'round style. Seem to catch more fish and easier to tie.
index.php

This one I just started on has legs, but still no top or bottom. It's got some attention already so I think it's gonna work.
View attachment 57885
I have not had much success with perdigons so I'm no help there.
Nice tie Tom, where did you get the pumpkin rubber legs
I can not find them anywhere.
Thank You !

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Nice tie Tom, where did you get the pumpkin rubber legs
I can not find them anywhere.
Thank You !
Thx, those came from the sportsman's warehouse I believe.