Spring samples

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
I fished a lake that’s been ice-free for probably a week. Sampled a couple fish and found some interesting stuff! Which one is the emerger again? :unsure:
DDB43931-1AF4-4EE4-9BFE-B78D444DC306.jpeg

It’s always interesting to see the differences between early season lakes. Sometimes it’s just daphnia all day. Or huge quantities of bloodworms. In this particular sample I see some meaty damsel nymphs and a juvenile sunfish along with a few different sizes and colors of chironomids. The fishing was pretty tough. There were a couple spots with active fish around but lots of quiet hours.

Seen any good samples recently?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I fished a lake that’s been ice-free for probably a week. Sampled a couple fish and found some interesting stuff! Which one is the emerger again? :unsure:
View attachment 57599

It’s always interesting to see the differences between early season lakes. Sometimes it’s just daphnia all day. Or huge quantities of bloodworms. In this particular sample I see some meaty damsel nymphs and a juvenile sunfish along with a few different sizes and colors of chironomids. The fishing was pretty tough. There were a couple spots with active fish around but lots of quiet hours.

When the heck was that little baitfish born?

T

Tombraider

Going into 2nd year of still water fishing. Thnx for pic. Been wanting to tye some brown and greens.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
View attachment 57599

The emerger is the same one that induces the most swivel-takes.

Smalma

Life of the Party
When the heck was that little baitfish born?
It appears to be some sort of sunfish. While we all are familiar with the bluegill/pumpkinseed spawn as the water approaches or exceeds 70 degrees. What is less known is that at least some of the females have a secondary spawn later in the year. Suspect the origin of fish in question was from a late secondary spawn with the fish hatching as the water temperatures were falling late in the year resulting in little growth between then and this spring. Do have to question what the survival of such fish are though clearly some must survive.

Curt

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I kept a pair one day, one had snails, the other snails and some dragons. Here w/ sz 14 leech that caught the fish is a dragon.
20230228_dr1.jpg
20230228_dr3.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
It appears to be some sort of sunfish. While we all are familiar with the bluegill/pumpkinseed spawn as the water approaches or exceeds 70 degrees. What is less known is that at least some of the females have a secondary spawn later in the year. Suspect the origin of fish in question was from a late secondary spawn with the fish hatching as the water temperatures were falling late in the year resulting in little growth between then and this spring. Do have to question what the survival of such fish are though clearly some must survive.

Curt
Some of the ponds I fish have spawning gills from may to early Oct with the right water temps. 2021 had at least 3, possibly 4 distinct fry classes by late fall. Other years they barely get off one spawn.