Backyard Wildlife

Trying to decide whether or not he could haul you off. ;) I had 1 climb up on my boot & do the same thing one time. If weasels weighed 25# the woods wouldn't be safe.
 
I needed to trim some vine maples that were starting to overhang the roof. I trimmed out the tip branches that had leaves from the main trunks and piled the leafy tips up outside my office window. As expected, the deer herd found the leaves irresistible.
DeerEatingVineMaples2463.jpg
At one point, there were four does and two fawns munching on the pile. This is actually a traditional strategy to supplement grass known as "tree hay".

Steve
 
Last edited:
It's amazing how well those fawns blend in. At first glance I missed the topmost fawn.
 
Wolverines are definitely foul-tempered demons. I've seen them 3 times, although I believe one occasion was a repeat. I was using a predator call & a Wolverine made a brief appearance. When I got back to my rig I spotted a Wolverine again. I believe that critter followed me for the better part of a mile or so.
 
How about the Polson, MT marina "yard?"
1000002052.png1000002053.png
 
I had no idea Blue Jays were so smart.

We have two suet cake feeders in the back yard. One is stationary and the other hangs from a branch. The Jays will not use the hanging feeder and they cleaned out the stationary one early.

This guy solved the problem by flying up and pecking at the hanging feeder and either eating what he was able to keep in his beak or dropping to the ground to search for what he knocked loose.

Impressive…or at least I thought so

IMG_0476.jpegIMG_0474.jpeg
 
Back
Top