Got any bird pics?

tkww

Steelhead
Watched a Black-crowned Night Heron struggle for a while with a large garter snake, a struggle it eventually lost.
BCNH.jpg

In other news, this is the third goose to use this nest. This is the first time can remember seeing a nest reuse, let alone 3 in a row. This third goose was circling around island while the newly-hatched batch from the 2nd pair had yet to get in the water. The moment they left she was right up on the nest.

The other thing that stands out is the level of territorial behavior with each successive pair. The first pair's male wouldn't let any other goose within 30-40 yards. Sometimes he'd go off and fight geese 60+ yards away. 2nd pair...maybe 20 yards was the limit. 3rd pair...I've seen geese 5-10 yards away. Goslings from other geese feeding around the same island. Just don't really seem to care much at all. Kinda funny.
080-BC-Night-Heron-051424.jpg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Watched a Black-crowned Night Heron struggle for a while with a large garter snake, a struggle it eventually lost.
View attachment 114495

In other news, this is the third goose to use this nest. This is the first time can remember seeing a nest reuse, let alone 3 in a row. This third goose was circling around island while the newly-hatched batch from the 2nd pair had yet to get in the water. The moment they left she was right up on the nest.

The other thing that stands out is the level of territorial behavior with each successive pair. The first pair's male wouldn't let any other goose within 30-40 yards. Sometimes he'd go off and fight geese 60+ yards away. 2nd pair...maybe 20 yards was the limit. 3rd pair...I've seen geese 5-10 yards away. Goslings from other geese feeding around the same island. Just don't really seem to care much at all. Kinda funny.
View attachment 114496
I wonder if hormone levels are dropping as we are reaching the end of the goose nesting season (and deep into the gosling nurturing phase).
Steve

JudyM

Steelhead
In Oregon? That’s very unusual. Sure they aren’t dark-eyed juncos or something else? Also, tufted titmouse are mostly gray.
I wear glasses, the light brown could be grey, I know what a Junco looks like. Backed up by book called "Birds of the Willamette Valley Region". In the book the bird is called "Bushtit" page 257.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I wear glasses, the light brown could be grey, I know what a Junco looks like. Backed up by book called "Birds of the Willamette Valley Region". In the book the bird is called "Bushtit" page 257.
That makes a lot more sense! Two different birds--the bushtit and the tufted titmouse.
<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:100%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/CKVwcljYh4hfVxSSLq" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

huh huh, I wrote bushtit